Stuff changed all the time in this computer lark

SparkyJack 11:05 06 Mar 2011

So that trying to marry old hardware to new can be a game of chance IDE to SATA in one example.
Yesterday I built a system based on a bare bones box[Mobo/Memory/ATX Case] and installed the optical drive in the conventional 'top of the box' location and the HDD in a 3.5 bay only to finds the the IDE cable would not stretch between HDD and Optical drive.- I do have a considerable stock of IDE cables they ate all the same overall length and connector spacing.
The net result was I had to move the Optical drive the the lowest 5.5 bay and had to adapt what appeared to be a 'Floppy Drive' bay[similar to the other 3.5 bays but with different pressing and lips.
So what has changed here?
Is it because SATA cables are longer- perhaps maybe- or some other not obvious change in standards?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:19 06 Mar 2011

Yes annoying isn't it, they no longer expect you to use a IDE hard drive and optical drive together.

gengiscant 11:24 06 Mar 2011

You can get longer IDE cables click here this is just an example.I have no doubt they can be found cheaper elsewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?