Student Laptop required, should it be Windows 7?

Khe 17:44 05 Nov 2009

Hi guys. I'm looking for a student laptop, budget around 5-600. The two I have my eye on are
click here

and
click here (the 11 x version)

The only issue with them is they aren't very 'pretty' i.e not the nice balck shiny types of eg. HP but I have had both and they seem robust.
So my query is are there similar laptops out there in better designs, are these reasonable laptops, I dont really do gaming, I do use the net a lot and travel a lot and have dropped my current one a few times (a toshiba equium A100-147 which I love)
And is Windows 7 ok to get or no?
Thanks, hope this isn't too basic!

mooly 19:04 05 Nov 2009

Windows 7 should be fine, but expect the odd issue to appear requiring driver updates, patches etc.
Vista has been out long enough to be stable and trouble free, it's just that many knock it without ever having used it. W7 should have hit the ground running eing based on Vista to such a large extent.
Buying today I think you have to go with W7

The Sony and Tosh are good brands but as with everything you can be lucky and unlucky. All manufacturers have the odd model that may develop a common fault etc over time.
I have an Acer... it's been brilliant, 3 years old, gets lots of use, excellent... but that's just my experience.
Drop any laptop and you can't "expect" it to survive unscathed ;)

canarieslover 19:25 05 Nov 2009

...why not look at something like this?? click here

Khe 19:29 05 Nov 2009

the 2K price tag has something to do with it :P
otherwise would be a good idea!

canarieslover 19:45 05 Nov 2009

You might just have to give the Student Union bar a miss for a while!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?