Stuck on safe mode with bar from L-right-Help!

buel 19:44 22 Jul 2010

Hello there, i recently got a virus on my xp laptop and although Malwarebytes got rid of what i thought was the virus/es i remember AVG and superantispyware both couldn't update! At the moment when i attempt to start in safe mode the screen just hangs with the progress bar accross the bottom of the screen from left to right just about an inch accross!
I dont yet have an xp restore disk although i do have an xp pro disc. Please can i have any advice as to what to do?

buel 21:17 22 Jul 2010

Anybody?

northumbria61 22:07 22 Jul 2010

Try resetting your BIOS settings to default values, then reboot.

northumbria61 22:08 22 Jul 2010

Don't forget to SAVE the changes

buel 22:08 22 Jul 2010

Hi, please can you tell me is this easy to do? I've never done this before..!

T0SH 22:17 22 Jul 2010

When I start my laptop Windows XP in safe mode there is no progress bar accross the bottom of screen

While it is booting you just see a list of the drivers being loaded then a black screen with safe mode in all four corners then the log in screen

Sounds like you are starting up in normal mode

Have you tried last known good configuration from the list of options

Cheers HC

buel 22:28 22 Jul 2010

Hello and thank you for your help! Yes i have tried all options im afraid. I will be getting an xp CD on saturday but i was wondering if there was anything i could do in the meantime? An xp pro CD would be no good i take it?

northumbria61 22:43 22 Jul 2010

No. May I suggest that when you are "up and running" again you download the FREE AVG Rescue Disc (this is available to anyone to download)

It can be used in the form of a bootable CD or bootable USB flash drive to recover your computer when the system cannot be loaded normally, such as after an extensive or deep-rooted virus infection.

** You will only get AVG support if you have a paid for version of AVG ** -

buel 22:57 22 Jul 2010

Well im currently posting on my spare laptop, am i able to download it now and burn to CD?

northumbria61 23:42 22 Jul 2010

Yes - click here

buel 07:22 23 Jul 2010

Hi, my bios is set to start from the cd-dvd player but even when i insert the avg cd it still stalls?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?