stuck in ms-dos......maybe ?

Ikelos 16:43 03 Nov 2005

hi, grandaughter just rang, she has started her PC and according to her, it seems to be stuck in ms-dos, (my words) she has tried to restart it and also switched it off and back on, and all she has is a screen with a black background with white type....anyone any idea how she can get it to run, it is win98se...thanks

VoG II 16:45 03 Nov 2005

Try typing

win

and pressing the Enter key.

Ikelos 16:47 03 Nov 2005

thank you, I will ring her now...and pass it on.

sattman 17:36 03 Nov 2005

If you still having problems
At the C:\Windows\Command prompt type:
Scanreg /restore (press Enter)
select a date displayed and Windows will do the rest.

Your second choice is to type:
Scanreg /fix (press Enter)
This may help. I have not been to successful with the Fix command. This command attempts to find and fix the error in the Registry.

Note:- For Windows 98 it is important that you do not start the computer uneccessarily if you suspect a regitry problem as you only have 5 good registry start points and each restart with a problem will create a bad memory point. If that makes sense

pj123 17:43 03 Nov 2005

Alternatively do a Scanreg /restore.

Switch the computer on and keep hitting the F8 key until you get a menu. Select menu Item 6. At the C:\ prompt type in scanreg /restore and press enter. You will now get a list of the last 5 dates. Pick a date prior to when the problem occured and press enter.
Follow the prompts.

woodchip 17:47 03 Nov 2005

It only records good starts not bad ones

Ikelos 18:24 03 Nov 2005

thank you all for the help, I rang her and passed on all the posts, she has just rung and said it was now running. not sure at this stage which post got it going, but thank you all.

sattman 20:19 03 Nov 2005

"It only records good starts not bad ones"

Not in windows 98, it makes a registry entry at each boot up and retains five, if it boots up with five bad registry then you have no back up to select

click here

At the DOS prompt, type in 'scanreg /restore' and press the enter key.
D. This should give you a blue and grey menu screen.
E. On the menu there will be listings of the registry for different dates.
F. Use the arrow keys and highlight the oldest copy, then press enter..
G. The current registry will be backed up and Windows will try to restore the copy you selected.
H. You'll get a message that the registry you tried to restore had errors or that you restored a copy of the registry that contained no errors.
I. If the registry copy had errors, reenter the 'scanreg /restore' command and try another date.
J. If the restore was successful, you should be able to press enter to restart the computer.

woodchip 22:46 03 Nov 2005

it seems to be stuck in ms-dos, Note the first post. Windows does not start to load, So it cannot make a Reg Restore point

sattman 00:17 04 Nov 2005

I maintain that a reg point is created at each boot up, it does not matter if it completes or not , it will be corrupt and no good as a restore but it will be created. In this case it is sorted so we will move on.

sattman 09:11 04 Nov 2005

ignore my previous posting, windows only going to DOS
can not as Woodchip says "creat a registry restore point".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?