stuck mouse after reinstall winxp pro upgrade

badgermansix 17:28 07 Feb 2009

Widnxp pro upgrade and sp2

following a previous problem (in another thread, I reinstalled winxp pro in this order, winxp he, winxp pro upgrade, SP2.

xp he installed o.k(after reformatting the c drive), xp pro upgrade installed o.k., after installing SP2, the PC starts up but the mouse is frozen, I have a wireless mouse, have tried a usb mouse but no change.

I have tried to uninstall SP2 via the keyboard, but with no luckd, nothing happens when I go to control panel, add/remove progs and get to the win xp sp2 file.

The reason that I installed SP2 after xp pro upgrade was because I read this on this forum some time ago.

any advice please?

tia

Graham. 17:31 07 Feb 2009

Can you System Restore to before SP2?

Stuartli 18:27 07 Feb 2009

You probably need to either reinstall the drivers or check that you have reset the wireless mouse and/or keyboard channels.

There's usually a simple routine to do so.

laurie53 19:37 07 Feb 2009

Have you tried a PS/2 mouse?

Muergo 19:41 07 Feb 2009

I regularly get stuck wireless mouse,I can resurrect by taking out batts completely, replace and reset, or change for new batts, I use rechargeable batts cos mouse seems to be hungry, will die if voltage drops a small amount, don't forget rechargeables are only 1.2v versus 1.5v for disposables.

badgermansix 20:22 07 Feb 2009

Thank you all.

It was a clean install after formatting C drive.

Graham. my pc freezes at the desktop, I can navigate to help and support via the keyboard direction keys, but I do not know how to navigate to system restore option.

Stuartli, I do not know how to do this if I cannot move the mouse, I have tried to use both usb mouse and PS2.

Muergo, this is not the problem but thanks.

tia

Muergo 00:19 08 Feb 2009

I have used a Resplendence program called "antifreeze" which works even if system manager doesn't, they do a neat little trio, the others are "who crashed" and "sanity check"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?