Stuck mails and a lesson learned.-looking for Must

jack 14:55 11 Jun 2004

First thanks to Andy SD for directing me to the Mustek E-service site for Win200 upgrade
software.
This allowed the download of the complete twain set for the scanner to be run in 2000/XP.
It came in with 12 E-mails each with an attachment for files.
These however did cause a problem They took FOREVER to get in and when eventually the system timed out, and I dialed up again the download startted from file one all over, and the mail stayed on the server. Thus I got lots of downloads of files one and two - time out -go on again- files one and two - ad nauseum.
This was getting me nowhere, a call the the server helpline suggested trying the Web route - not having played with web-mail before- I was a bit doubious about what would happen - but it worked a treat - I found all the files and the attachments came in lickety-spit with the help of Down Load Accelerator.
But the files stayed on the server and I havd to get the Server folk to delete from their end.

Question - Whats makes mails like this stay on and block up the server?

johnnyrocker 15:00 11 Jun 2004

somewhere in your mail settings/properties you will find a tick in leave a copy of messages on the server.

johnny.

keith-236785 15:38 11 Jun 2004

Log onto your mail server via their internet site, click check your mail (or log in or whatever you do for that ISP)

read and delete mail there. then you should stop getting it via outlook express (assuming you use OE)

for example

i am with freeuk for my backup dialup (ntl broadband for normal), so i visit click here

enter my user name and password and check mail.

as far as i know all ISP's have this facility.

good luck

jack 17:33 11 Jun 2004

Johnny
yes my leave copy button is unticked mails sholud not stick around.

Paperman
That is what I did - went to webmail and downloaded with Download accelarator.
But I still had to get 'Them' to take 'em off
However all done now
Thanks for your knid suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone