Stuck in Audacity .

magnus35 23:17 11 Feb 2007

For a couple of weeks I had successfully been using the free music editor / copier Audacity to copy my audio cassettes to cd then transfer these to my digital music player . Tracks were copied one at a time and saved as wav files to My Music . No projects were saved , nothing fancy , just simple stuff .
One day , when attempting to exit the program , a dialogue box appeared stating ' Progress ' ' Clearing Up Temporary Files ' Estimated Time Unknown ' . The slot which should have graphically shown progress remained empty and the x at the top right of the box was faded and inactive . When nothing seemed to be happening , I tried Ctrl+Alt+Del but Task manager said that it could not end the program as it was waiting for a response from me . I ended up clicking on restart computer and indicating , when prompted , that I wished to end the program . Before using Audacity again , I ran ccleaner in the hope that this would remove temporary files but the same thing happened again . I eventually stopped it by using system restore but suspect that this will probably happen again after a few more uses of Audacity .
I would be interested to know whether this sort of thing has happened to other users of Audacity and how they resolved the problem or , perhaps one of the experts in this forum can understand and explain in layman's terms what has been happening . I visited the Audacity website and posted this query in their forum but did not receive a single reply .

AB's 23:46 11 Feb 2007

not sure but it sounds like audacity is not deleting the old temp files when you've finished you're last job, it will sometimes ask you if you want to delete old files when you open it. try going into the C/programme files/audacity folder to see if there is a big cache of old files and delete what you dont want to keep. if there not there try doing a search from startMENU/SEARCH and see if it comes up with any other folders audacity might have stored them in.

AB's 23:48 11 Feb 2007

jus re read your post as well.....did you SAVE the files or EXPORT them ? because if you SAVED them you will have a big bank of saved files sitting somwhere maybe 20-100 files for each song you have copied

magnus35 23:56 11 Feb 2007

Thanks for the responses .
The files were exported as wav to My Music .
I have had another look at Audacity and it indicates that files will be stored in a temp folder , however , a search for any files with the word audacity brought up no results .
magnus35

AB's 00:04 12 Feb 2007

try searching for files called .aup

AB's 00:05 12 Feb 2007

or .au

magnus35 00:17 12 Feb 2007

I tried searching for files with .au or .aup in the name but there were no results .
Thanks again for your help .
magnus35

AB's 00:24 12 Feb 2007

ok no problem magnus35, i would just try uninstaling and re-instaling it then see if that fixes it....good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?