stuck

induna 21:58 20 Jun 2003

I am stuck, sorry guys but normally I plonder my way through. I split my hard drive last year just in case of a rainy day and now it has arrived,
I cleaned my registry of dross which is not a prob, but now I can't get back on to my original partition. the partitions are seperate and access them by partition magic on boot up, the one I am using now is ok but the one I need to get to is unaccessible because all I can find is the wallpaper even in safe mode. I don't know much about dos, so that is why I am stuck,
There must be a simple solution which I am unaware of.
thanks
indune

Forum Editor 22:56 20 Jun 2003

that you have a dual-boot setup, with a separate operating system installed on each partition?

When you say that "I cleaned my registry of dross which is not a prob" what exactly do you mean? It obviously is a problem, because now you can't boot into either partition, and presumably you didn't back the registry up before deleting keys?

woodchip 23:03 20 Jun 2003

You do not say what OS but it look's like Win98, so put your startup floppy in the drive and Win98 restart your computer choose start with CD-ROM support and reload windows over it's self your CD drive letter will have moved by one letter so if it was D:\ it will be E:\ if it was E:\ it will now be F:\ and so on type setup at the CD drive letter just press enter

induna 22:59 21 Jun 2003

yes I do back up my registry and I have a dual partition with a different operating system on each, which both are windows 98.but I cannot access one partition because all I get is the wallpaper even in safe made. so I cannot go anywhere else on that partition,but I will try woodchip's suggestion and see what happens.thanks indune

jazzypop 23:06 21 Jun 2003

Slow down a minute. If you have backed up your registry, why not just restore/reload it? This will put things back to where they were before you 'cleaned your registry of dross'.

induna 23:37 21 Jun 2003

hi jazzypop,maybe I'm not making myself clear, but when I go into my other partition,all I get is wallpaper,I cannot access anywhere else.there are no icons, start button or anything,the mouse does not right or left click,the only thing that I can do is ctrl. alt. delete to leave that partition,and I do not really want to reformat because of losing some files.
thanks indune

jazzypop 23:43 21 Jun 2003

What happens when you go to your 'empty' partition and hold down Ctrl while you tap Esc? A Start menu should appear.

wee eddie 23:45 21 Jun 2003

When you do your ctrl. alt. delete on the drive with the wallpaper.

Does it show anything running other than the Wallpaper

induna 00:04 22 Jun 2003

sorry ,nothing happems when I hold down crtl.and tap escape,and in answer to wee eddie the only things that are running are ptudfapp and hidserv.
hope this gives someone a clue.
thanks indune

Terrahawk 00:13 22 Jun 2003

on your key board try hittting the key botttom left 2nd in you should have 3 keys before the space bar the key between ctrl and alt should be a hot key for the start menu

woodchip 00:15 22 Jun 2003

If you had done what I said you would be up and running by now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017