Stuartli can you advise please.

Tick Tock 3 20:47 09 Nov 2006

You gave me some help about the router i have just bought from e-buyer.i have just installed it using method A and have now connected using my ethernet port.nothing about the router appears in device manager and once i close my browser does that mean i am off line,and how do i switch off when not in use.
it comes with a firewall but there is no evidence of this.Do you think its setup ok.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:12 09 Nov 2006

nothing about the router appears in device manager
this is normal.

once i close my browser does that mean i am off line
your PC is offline but your router is still connected.

how do i switch off when not in use.
If you realy want it off just switch off at power socket or unplug adaptor from wall.

GEEKSTA 21:18 09 Nov 2006

thats what i do, just un plug the router when not in use, stops any busy body messing with YOUR connection.

"once i close my browser does that mean i am off line"

Just to clarify incase Fruit Bat read that wrong, your computer will be online as long as it's running, ie. closing internet explorer dosen't disconnect you from the internet.

skidzy 21:23 09 Nov 2006

If you have security enabled (WEP CODE) nobody can change the security settings unless at the pc,this also stops unauthorized attempts to connect to your internet connection.

The Wep Code needs to be applied to all machines that use your internet connection.

Legolas 21:29 09 Nov 2006

You should also install a firewall on your computer this is a good free one click here

Tick Tock 3 21:46 09 Nov 2006

So i am still on the internet after closing firefox but not using any bandwith is this right,also i have commodo firewall on and windows firewall disabled,not sure about WEP CODE,also could not download updates for avg i will have to configure that somehow.

Tick Tock 3 21:49 09 Nov 2006

Its only 2 hours old and i do not yet feel safe until i can configure everything out.

Strawballs 22:14 09 Nov 2006

You say you are connected using the ethernet port, does that mean that you are not using wireless if so you can switch off the wireless and you will not have a problem security, but if you are WPA would be better than WEP.
click here

"So i am still on the internet after closing firefox but not using any bandwith is this right"

Yes unless you have something else that uses the internet connection (antivirus updates, messenger, spyware etc.)

Stuartli 00:05 10 Nov 2006

Just come across your thread after returning from one of my very rare (just three times a week) sampling of the black and white stuff.

My router is on permanently even with the system switched off - if I am away from the system when it's still active I just let it download e-mails.

It is not using bandwidth during this time, except when it checks for e-mails every 10 minutes.

The router has a firewall and, of course, I also have ZoneAlarm, Avast! Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware on board.

I have no qualms about leaving the system unattended even if it is switched on - in fact it's literally left on from around 8am to well past midnight.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone