struggling with rkill?

naineysman 21:42 30 Apr 2010

Got another one of those pesky security hijacks that want me to buy its product before it stops hijacking the screen

I've tried rkill but to no avail, this SecurityTool is too quick to load, should I try in safe mode?

northumbria61 21:58 30 Apr 2010

I would try in Safe Mode. If you have Malwarebytes installed on your PC run that also.

naineysman 21:59 30 Apr 2010

trying safe mode as malwarebytes is stopped in its tracks too

naineysman 22:02 30 Apr 2010

rkill seems to have worked in safe mode, I presume I must now run malwarebytes in safe mode as well?

naineysman 22:19 30 Apr 2010

cheers

Sea Urchin 23:33 30 Apr 2010

I would run another scan with Malwarebytes to be sure you are free - it is not designed to be run in safe mode - for reasons see below:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware uses Inno Setup (click here) instead of the Windows Installer Service to install the program. MBAM is designed to be at full power when running in normal mode and loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Therefore, after completing a scan it is recommended to uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it in normal mode and perform another Quick Scan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?