Struggling to get Laptop to send email

stugra 13:59 28 Nov 2006

I have been setting up a wireless network at a friends house.
They are on AOL broadband and so far I have managed to get the ethernet wired PC to work on the internet using IE and send/receive emails using Outlook.

I have managed to get the laptop to wirelessly connect to the network, and to surf the internet using Internet Explorer. I have also got it to download emails from AOL using Outlook.

The laptop is using a different username/password to that of the main PC as I am downloading HER email to the PC using her AOL account and HIS email to the laptop using his AOL account.

I am stuck with sending emails from the laptop. I get the following error:-

Task 'AOL - SEnding' reported error (0x800CCC0D): 'Unable to find the e-mail server. Please verify the sender information in your account properties.'

I believe the username and password to be correct, hence I can receive emails. I have also changed the SMTP port to 587 as directed on help websites I have read.

I am wondering if this is a fault with AOL not letting me send the emails, or if it is something to do with the network I have (been trying to) set up.

Thanks in advance.

Aargh 14:08 28 Nov 2006

Are you logging into the correct SMTP server for your account? As long as your email account username & password are correct, along with any authentication settings needed by AOL, your wireless will not be the reason.

stugra 14:12 28 Nov 2006

I have set the servers to imap.aol.com & smtp.aol.com as advised by aol.

These settings work fine with her connection on the PC.

The username and password are correct as I can send emails??

Aargh 14:13 28 Nov 2006

which version Outlook, 200, 2002, 2003?

stugra 14:14 28 Nov 2006

Brand new laptop, so I guess it is 2003.

Aargh 14:20 28 Nov 2006

Launch Outlook.

Click the Tools menu, then click Email Accounts.

Find your email account

Choose the Change email account option by clicking it, then click the Next button.

Choose the IMAP option by clicking it, then click the Next button.

In the Your Name: box, type your name as you wish it to appear on outgoing email.

In the Email Address: box, type your full AOL email address.

In the User Name: box, type your AOL screen name.

In the Password: box, type your AOL password.

In the Incoming mail server (IMAP): box, type imap.aol.com.

In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP): box, type smtp.aol.com.

Click the More Settings button.

Click the Outgoing Server tab.

Click the My outgoing server requires authentication box to place a tick in it.

Choose the Use same settings as my incoming mail server option by clicking it, then click the Advanced tab.

In the Outgoing mail (SMTP): box, type 587, then click the OK button.

Click the Next button.

Click the Finish button.

Use the test account feature.

Double check everything!! A common entry problem is double full stops in the server names.

stugra 14:23 28 Nov 2006

... but I have double checked all of your last post a few times already this morning???

Aargh 14:25 28 Nov 2006

OK

What about email filters in any firewall/AV software, are they blocking anything?

Start by disabling it and sending mail.

Aargh 14:31 28 Nov 2006

Another thing you can try is going back into your email settings - find the more settings tab and click advanced.

Adjust the server timeout to a longer setting.

Aargh 14:34 28 Nov 2006

All the other advice is also contained here

click here

stugra 17:02 28 Nov 2006

No luck so far I am afraid.

Can anyone throw more light on AOL? Is this an issue with the AOL email account? There is one AOL account here, with three users (primary registered account user, and two more user names). I assume that the other user names can log into their AOL account and download their individual email without having to log through the primary users account.

As I can download email through this users secondary account, I assume (am I right) that the password and user name are not an issue here. If it were, I guess it would come up with a password/username confirm box rather than the error I am getting? Although the error I am getting does point to that direction??

I have tried it with a wrong password, and it comes up with a confirm password box, not the above error.

Truly at a loss at the moment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?