Streaming/File Sharing - Which option?

sunrunner 16:38 25 Feb 2007

Hi all,

I would like to watch and listen to files (stored on my PC upstairs) on my TV downstairs. I have a wireless home network running via a Netgear modem/router. I have been advised to take 1 of the 3 options below. Which would you take:

1). Buy dedicated media streamer like Philips or Pinnacle Showcenter.

2). Buy X-Box360 and use bundled Media Connect and have great games machine to boot!

3). Buy PS3 and use like X-Box and possibly have a great games machine to boot.

Feel free to offer any other options which would fit on a home network.

bennyhillslovechild 17:44 25 Feb 2007

Those are probably your best options. I've set up a couple of media streamers for friends, and they seem to do their job reasonably well. The 360 option is a good idea; as you say you get the benefits of a games machine too but the only caveat their is to stream movies/videos the PC must be running Windows XP Media Centre edition or Vista home premium/ultimate. I'm pretty sure that XP home and Por will only stream music - but I could be wrong there, things may have changed.
PS3 is another option - but at this time the most expensive one - it's a personal preference over which machine you prefer, and for me to state one over the other will result in lots of rabid fanboys tearing into each other with their views. Not unlike the great PC vs Mac debates.

One other option - a number of external hard drives now come with media players and connectors built in, so you could use those to store your videos and simply plug it into the telly - with the added benefit of being able to take it elsewhere with you too. I know freecom do one or you can buy a hard drive enclosure with the sockets/firmware and controls and make use of an old hard drive.

sunrunner 17:54 25 Feb 2007

Thanks for the reply. I am running XP home and I don't really want to install Vista at this time. So maybe the option of a media streamer or ext HDD may be my best option unless anyone knows if XP can work. I have the latest version of media player if that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?