Strange wireless connection issue.

lkynmbr13 22:19 04 May 2007

Hey guys, I am new to the site because I have been trying to find some kind of answer to my problem. It is a lot to explain but please take the time to read it if you think you can help. I appreciate anything that might point me in the right directions.

Let me give you some background. I have been using the same computer/wireless card for the 2 previous wireless networks I have been on with no problem. I just moved in to a new place and am using the same setup as I had previously.

Ok, my problem is that I am able to connect to the network as normal, using the correct WEP, but approximately every minute or two the network "disconnects". I get the typical red X over my connection and at the same time get the message "Wireless Network Detected. One or more of your preferred networks..." Now if I try to repair the connection it will not work, it gives the message "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Connecting to the wireless network." What I do instead is go to Network Connections...right click-Properties...Wireless Networks Tab...Properties (where the WEP is entered) and hit ok and ok to just get back to the Network Connections. Now if I do this twice it lets me right back on, like I never left and say I have been on for however long my computer has been on, for example 5 hours, even though it said I was disconnected.

I have never heard of anything like this so please, any help would be great.

Thanks

Jesse

Ashrich 23:45 04 May 2007

What make of wireless card are you using ? Is it being managed by Windows or the supplies software that came with it ? Have you tried updating the drivers to the latest version or tried Googling for any problems with that adapter ?

Ashley

lkynmbr13 00:16 05 May 2007

I am using a Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter. I have tried updating the drivers and looking for any known problems with the adapter but have not found anything similar. I am not sure what you mean by it being managed by windows. I have the install disk that I used to put the original drivers on but that was a couple years ago and have only updated the drivers online.

setecio 08:46 05 May 2007

Try logging in to the wireless router and enable SSID broadcast. If this fixes it then it was a common disconnection issue with WZC when another network is in range.

lkynmbr13 17:23 05 May 2007

There are other computers on the wireless network that are not having this problem and the SSID is being broadcast.

setecio 17:29 05 May 2007

If you right click on the Linksys wireless utility in the bottom right of taskbar, is it 'disabled' ? If so enable it.

lkynmbr13 18:01 05 May 2007

I do not have a linksys wireless utility in my task bar, only the wireless connection status.

postie24 21:43 05 May 2007

Try turning the encryption off for a sec and see if it stays connected

lkynmbr13 00:37 06 May 2007

Tried turning it off like you said, it disconnected.

setecio 14:56 06 May 2007

Try reinstalling the Linksys PCI card from the CD. They would usually install a Linksys wireless utility to connect to the wireless networks, which resides in the taskbar.

lkynmbr13 20:37 06 May 2007

I don't know what it was but I just started from the beginning again (disconnect, deactivate the encryption, etc.) and now it is working. I really appreciate all the help. Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?