Strange Windows boot problem

johndrew 11:55 08 Nov 2010

OS is XP Pro SP3 using a Netgear N-150 router.

Recently when booting not all icons expected show in the left toolbar appear and the boot takes longer than normal. This doesn't happen on every boot but can occur on several consecutive boots but will return to normal for a while before recurring.

Also Windows and Defender updates either dislike starting or are very slow. During the slow update process NetMeter (one of the items that should start at boot and sometimes doesn't) shows no activity at all. Very similar to now where a Defender update of 379KB has taken some minutes to achieve 43KB and appears to have stalled. Other functions on the internet appear fine. CPU loading is at a minimum according to Task Manager (System Idle at 90+%).

I have carried out all the usual scans for malware, cleaned the Registry and can see nothing that would cause this. Other than updates, e-mail, some documents and some photos nothing has been installed for some time.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to the possible cause(s) of this problem?

Thanks in anticipation.

johndrew 12:23 08 Nov 2010

Should also have said that when I tried to download the Defender update manually from MS I was give a time of 2 days, 4 hours to achieve it!!

johnnyrocker 20:20 08 Nov 2010

it would seem that MS read your speed as dial up? maybe there is a problem in that area?

johnny

johndrew 22:11 08 Nov 2010

Thanks for the response, johnny. If you are right then why only MS? All other internet traffic is fine.

Any comment on the boot anomaly?

lotvic 22:59 08 Nov 2010

Might be that the HDD needs defragging and temp files deleted and Recycle bin emptied etc.

johndrew 10:22 09 Nov 2010

A reasonable suggestion and one I should have covered in my original post.

I run Advanced System Care weekly which cleans out most rubbish and defrags the drive all in one go. I also run Ccleaner occasionally to pick up other bits (including the Recycle bin) and to have a second look at the Registry. I think this leaves the drive in reasonable order.

Looks as though I'm still wide open to ideas.

johndrew 13:37 10 Nov 2010

^ Please?

johndrew 10:42 13 Nov 2010

Guess I had better close this as the problem wont go away and no one appears to have any suggestions that will help.

johndrew 15:02 27 Jan 2011

Or at least I think it is.

The resolution was very simple eventually - I cleared a pile of deleted e-mails and since then (fingers crossed) the PC has booted normally again.

Hopefully this will be of use to someone else in the future and provide a lesson on the subject of good housekeeping!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?