Strange Website Messages

bartonside 12:29 09 Mar 2010

In the last week or so I have been receiving this Security Message when I open most websites. "Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed?" I always answer OK and carry on but where is this warning cvoming from? Is it Norton or somewhere else? I run AOL which is working as usual but Internet Explorer is not working at the moment and I don't know how to revive it.

DieSse 13:12 09 Mar 2010

Check the date your system is set to. If this "gets changed" you can start getting security certificate messages, and other issues.

Run a good anti-malware program, such as Malwarebytes (download if you haven't already, it's free).

Run Disk Cleanup - the standard Windows one is best as a starter if you don't already use one.

bartonside 14:21 09 Mar 2010

What do you mean by check the date my system is set to?

Pine Man 14:32 09 Mar 2010

'What do you mean by check the date my system is set to?'

Your PC should be set to the current date. If not all sorts of problems can arise.

I don't know what operating system you are using but if you have the time displayed on your desktop either hover over it with your cursor or click on it and you should get the full time and date displayed.

SJM_81 14:38 09 Mar 2010

Yes, if your time is set wrong it can make certificates invalid so hence the message popping up.

bartonside 15:44 09 Mar 2010

No problem with time and date - both are (always) correct!

DieSse 17:56 09 Mar 2010

click here

In my IE8 "Check for server certificate revocation" is turned off, Since I don't use IE, I presume this should be the standard setting. Can you check yours please.

DieSse 18:00 09 Mar 2010

Also check if you have all the MS updates installed - especially any Root Certificate updates.

And if you're still on an old version of IE, perhaps you should update that too.

bartonside 21:47 09 Mar 2010

I suspect that when I can get IE working again the problems will stop. All I get is a message saying the remote device or resource won't accept the connection. I've no idea how to correct this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?