Strange Start Up Noise

Zeppelyn 19:03 26 Nov 2006

I have a strange noise emanating I believe from the processor heatsink. If left at startup then I get a fairly loud grinding whirring sound as if some part is not turning. If I switch off and restart then on 3rd or 4th attempt starts normally. I have removed fan and thoroughly cleaned as this was my first suspicion but now discounted this. Have cleaned heatsink as best I can with small plastic blade so no dust or grime between fins. If room is warm like after heating been on a while then it starts no problem. Unit is approx 18 months old.

ASRock Socket 754 M1689 Upgrade Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3800 processor
2Gb Crucial Memory

Any ideas anyone or should I just change heatsink & fan.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:10 26 Nov 2006

I have removed fan and thoroughly cleaned as this was my first suspicion but now discounted this.

If you carefully peel back the label on the centre of the fan you may find a hole to allow you to lubricate the fan bearings with one small drop of machine oil.

click here

VoG II 19:10 26 Nov 2006

You need to verify where the sound is coming from. Take an A4 sheet of paper and roll it into a cone to serve as an ear-trumpet. With the side off the case, power up and listen next to each component to determine the culprit.

Hard drives that are failing can make grinding noises - I hope that is not the case but if it is you need to make a backup pronto!

Zeppelyn 19:25 26 Nov 2006

Fruit Bat

I will try that but with side off while starting earlier i stopped fan with finger tip but noise didnt stop.

VoG

Will have to wait until its cold as just was going to try your suggestion but of course been less than hour since powered up so started normally. Not using at the moment.

Definitely not hard drive, happens with all components disconnected bar m/b and processor. Its definitely the processor area.

GaT7 19:29 26 Nov 2006

Could it be the motherboard chipset fan perhaps? G

skidzy 19:34 26 Nov 2006

Possibly fan within PSU ?

Zeppelyn 19:36 26 Nov 2006

No chipset fan as only the one fan connector with this board thou it does have AsRock heatsink attached to board.

Zeppelyn 19:37 26 Nov 2006

PSU Changed for new 600w just the other day.

skidzy 19:43 26 Nov 2006

Did you have this noise before replacing the psu Zepp

woodchip 19:52 26 Nov 2006

AS Vog the Hard Drive is failing. That's why it does not start first time

zarobian 19:59 26 Nov 2006

VOG's suggestion is spot on. I am sure your HD is on its way. Be quick to backup your system or important documents. It is better to be careful than to be sorry.

'Z'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?