strange problem

Joe R 18:48 08 Nov 2007

Hi all,

I have just built a new system comprising of, MSI P35 Neo2 mobo, Intel E6750 Cpu, 2Gb Corsair TwinX XMS2 pc6400 ram, 730watt Hiper PSU, 2 dvd-rw, floppy, 2x Western digital 250 Gb sata drives and an XFX 8899Gts video card.

My problem is, whenever I have booted my system, within seconds I am getting 2 short beeps, which to me signifies a memory problem, but within a few seconds of this it is then followed by a single beep, which usually signifies no hardware problems.

I have ran 2 different memory tests, none of which have shown any problems, and have not had any problems on my system, even when stressing the system.

Has anyone came accross this before,? or have any idea what may be causing it.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Joe.

Joe R 18:49 08 Nov 2007

oops 8899 video card. Must be a new one. :)

8800 of course.

skidzy 19:14 08 Nov 2007

The first thing i would do Joe,is remove one stick of ram and bootup again...do you still get the 2 beeps ?

Then alternate between the ram sticks and see if the beeps are still there.
This should tell you if one stick is faulty.

I take it you are running the ram in dual channel mode.

Joe R 19:30 08 Nov 2007

skidzy,

I have tried this, with the same results.

I am running them in dual channel mode, and as stated memory tests state that the ram is fully functional.

skidzy 19:52 08 Nov 2007

Joe i think the only way to definately rule out ram error's is to try another stick of ram.

Your beeps certainly sounds like memory problems.

I suppose the mobo could have a small fault or even shorting out briefly.

I think the only way to go is the old way and remove most of the hardware and just try one stick of ram/graphics card/hdd and see what happens...then go about connecting one device at a time.

Others may have different ideas though.

Joe R 20:02 08 Nov 2007

skidzy,

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to rm Scan, and send it back. I've just tried it on a friends system with the same results.

skidzy 20:11 08 Nov 2007

All the best Joe.

umbongo(uk) 04:54 09 Nov 2007

joe you did read the manual
and have tried manualy inputing the ram timings ?

THE TIMINGS FOR YOUR RAM
click here
choose your ram ,check the code on left with code on ram sticks or stick
the latency timings that need to be inputed into bio,s
if your still stuck on this for voltage
use thei technical suport tab at the top
put a mark in the ram box , choose your ram by its code,
then it will ask you for motherboard manufacturer
and motherboard make
which in your case it will be ..P35 Neo2 unless u missed platinum etc off the end
then show you voltage and timing for your ram on tht motherboard

taken from your motherboards manual specs
Main Memory

• Supports 4 unbuffered DIMM of 1.8 Volt DDR2 SDRAM
• Supports up to 8GB memory size
• Support Dual Channel DDR2 667/800/1066MHz and up (Intel P35 chipset supports up to DDR2-800 officially. For DDR2 800+, manually BIOS adjustment is needed)
Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.
Example: Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 PC6400 operates at 2.0V, 4-4-4-12.
For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone