Strange Power Querk

Ed_Hodges 21:42 18 Jan 2004

I have a really strange problem with my computer. When i turn on my computer with the power switch it turns on and nothing happens (screen is black) until i move the mouse, when this happens windows boots up and the mouse does not work and strange clicking noises come from the speakers when i move the mouse. If i dont move the mouse, after the initial switch on, and switch off the power supply, at the plug, for a few seconds then switch the power back on the computer boots up as usual. What is wrong with my computer? is it a bios fault? Please could someone help me it isn't so much of a problem just an annoiance!
Thanx

Indigo 1 21:54 18 Jan 2004

I don't think it could BIOS related as it has no control over mouse and vice versa. Check your monitor leads first it could be a dodgy connection there. The monitor leads are usually squished up at the back against a wall or something and can easily get bent or damaged. also check all leads at back of PC case for tighnes, damage etc.

Ed_Hodges 22:42 20 Jan 2004

no i have tried that still no luck
does anyone else have any suggestions?

woodchip 22:44 20 Jan 2004

what kind of mouse USB?

Ed_Hodges 23:20 20 Jan 2004

no its a ps/2 optical mouse but i had the same problems with a usb mouse i had

DieSse 23:26 20 Jan 2004

I suspect it isn't actually turned off when you think it is - so moving the mouse wakes it up, albeit not quite correctly.

Then when you turn it off at the mains it really is off, so boots up correctly.

I suugest you try as a starter, going into the BIOS, and setting it to reload the default settings - in case you have somehow got some strange mis-setting in the power control section.

Is your system a branded system (eg Compaq) - as I've seen some odd power up/down situations with these at times - especially with some BIOS missettings.

Ed_Hodges 23:49 20 Jan 2004

Unfortuantly it is a packard bell, i have tried resetting the bios setting, to no avail. I dont think the computer is actually on because i shut it down fully every time, could it be a problem with the power switch settings?

DieSse 23:50 20 Jan 2004

What power switch settings?

Ed_Hodges 23:59 20 Jan 2004

i mean, u can change what the power siwtch does i.e. hibernate, standby etc.
But i checked and it is not this

DieSse 00:15 21 Jan 2004

What is it set to, as a matter of interest? - and is there a Sleep button setting, and what's this set to?

Also try changing all your power settings to Always on, or Never turn off - as appropriate.

DieSse 00:17 21 Jan 2004

has it always been like this - or did it change - and can you remember anyhting that you did, or happened just before it changed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?