Strange pop up browser box

geedad 09:13 30 Mar 2010

When I booted my PC today, just before completing the boot, a box popped up asking me what browser I was using and that I can use more than one etc. I thought this was malware, and just deleted it instead of taking it further. Now I have an icon on my desktop and when I hover over it, it shows that it is a Windows system32 icon.
Should I delete this?
(On the box there was no indication at all as to where it came from).
geedad

Graham. 09:17 30 Mar 2010

The popup is from Microsoft click here

geedad 09:31 30 Mar 2010

Graham.
Many thanks for that!
You would have thought that a few lines of explanation from MS would have been helpful!
There was absolutely nothing to indicate it was from MS!
Again, thanks!
geedad

Sea Urchin 12:36 30 Mar 2010

It would have been one of your recent Windows updates. There was quite a lot of discussion about it here on the forum, and a number of people opted out of that particular update.

geedad 15:05 30 Mar 2010

Sea Urchin
Do you know what?
I think that the day before I posted my query, I DID have an update but it happened so quickly that I did not realise what it was.
You know that when updates are available, they usually show during shut-down. On this particular download, I blinked and it was gone!
I am now convinced that was the MS "brower choice" download. Again, I have to state, I should have been given SOME information first. Normally, I am asked first.
Thank you very much.
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017