Strange phenomena after sound card installation

Alf58 18:50 04 Jun 2005

I have just installed a Sound Blaster Live 24 bit sound card and I am over all pleased with it. However, since the install, the Windows Xp Opening music which comes in on start up is terribly distorted. All other sounds including close down are fine. I wonder if anyone can tell me what, if anything, I can do about this?

selfbuild 18:53 04 Jun 2005

Did you disable the onboard sound ?

Alf58 18:57 04 Jun 2005

Yes I disabled onboard sound through the Bios. As I say everything works fine with the soundcard except for the opening Windows music. I have a feeling its just some setting that needs altering but at the moment I am at a loss.
I'm running Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack Two.

Pine Man 19:28 04 Jun 2005

I had a similar problem which was due to the software for the onboard sound causing a conflict at startup. I know that you have disabled the onboard sound in BIOS but make sure that the software that ran it has been completely uninstalled so there is no trace of it. That should cure your problem as it certainly did for me.

Alf58 19:48 04 Jun 2005

I've checked and there is no sign of the old software. If this was the issue wouldnt it cause grief in other areas as well as just start up?

Sans le Sou 20:02 04 Jun 2005

I had to use a shorter sound track as the default music broke up a lot, this seemed to suit the startup better. I think the music starts before everything is loaded and it interferes with it.

Sans le Sou 20:04 04 Jun 2005

If its the problem you could disable a load of stuff from the startup and see if it makes a difference.

Joe R 20:51 04 Jun 2005

Alf58,

you could try these whql certified drivers. click here

Alf58 21:02 04 Jun 2005

Thanks for the offer Joe, but I'm a tad worried about changing the drivers when everything is working apart from start up. I dont want to risk causing more hassle. I guess at the end of the day I could leave the sound off until the machine has booted!! Incidentally, I tried a different piece of music for start up and that was just as badly distorted.

Joe R 21:17 04 Jun 2005

Alf58,

I know when I used my first Audigy card a few years ago, there were a couple of settings, which included things like "haunted cavern" and "bathroom", both of which would cause the distortion you are talking about.

I used to set my default to Accoustic, to try and stop any problems.

If you can have a look at the advanced properties, of your sound settings, (creative) you may be able to enable or disable certain settings.

I know it's not much to go on, but I hope it helps in some way.
Regards, Joe.

phono 21:20 04 Jun 2005

I have seen, or should I say heard, this phenomena on many machines at startup, the most likely cause is all the disk and CPU activity as various drivers, programs and so forth are loaded, if everything is okay after startup I wouldn't get too worried about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?