Strange One - cannot open e-mail attachments!

MartynHoll 08:56 20 Apr 2006

After having no problems opening e-mail attachments in Outlook Express, I now find that when I double click on an attachment (zip, word, excel etc), nothing happens!

Any ideas?

MartynHoll 09:00 20 Apr 2006

I am also finding that if I try and save the attachment, it tells me that there is an error or not enough disk space (I have loads of disk space!)

MartynHoll 09:34 20 Apr 2006

Another thing... I don't know if it is connected! If I download a file and save it to a location (say d:/temp), the save box doesn't now give me the option to 'open' the file at the end of the download and when I go to the location to run the file - it's not there....very strange! (PS I have virus checker running and have done a full scan with no viruses found)

johnnyrocker 09:46 20 Apr 2006

what operating system do you have? and can you remember what you were doing prior to the occurrence?

johnny.

MartynHoll 09:50 20 Apr 2006

Windows XP Home. The only thing that I have done recently was installing a wireless router!

MartynHoll 15:28 20 Apr 2006

I have tried restore point back to the 18th March when I knew that I had an e-mail attachment that I could open - the Restore failed! I was able to restore back to 1st April but I still have the problem. I am now attempting to re-install XP!

MartynHoll 15:56 20 Apr 2006

RE-install of XP (SP2) has not worked either! I cannot open old attachments in Outlook Express (that I have opened in the past). Help!!

VoG II 16:03 20 Apr 2006

I assumed thsaty you have checked click here

MartynHoll 16:12 20 Apr 2006

Yes, I have checked and it's not the 'security' issue. It's also strange that I can download files and they disappear!

VoG II 16:22 20 Apr 2006

Try this for the download problem.

1. Open Windows Explorer
2. Then click [Tools] [Folder Options] [File Types]
3. Scroll down to locate the file type.
4. Highlight the file type (example :"PPT Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation")
5. Click the "Advanced" button.
6. Enable the option "confirm open after download"

MartynHoll 17:03 20 Apr 2006

What could be stopping me opening or saving normal files like word documents or excel documents? These are files that I have opened in the past!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?