Strange One - cannot open e-mail attachments!

MartynHoll 08:56 20 Apr 2006

After having no problems opening e-mail attachments in Outlook Express, I now find that when I double click on an attachment (zip, word, excel etc), nothing happens!

Any ideas?

MartynHoll 09:00 20 Apr 2006

I am also finding that if I try and save the attachment, it tells me that there is an error or not enough disk space (I have loads of disk space!)

MartynHoll 09:34 20 Apr 2006

Another thing... I don't know if it is connected! If I download a file and save it to a location (say d:/temp), the save box doesn't now give me the option to 'open' the file at the end of the download and when I go to the location to run the file - it's not there....very strange! (PS I have virus checker running and have done a full scan with no viruses found)

johnnyrocker 09:46 20 Apr 2006

what operating system do you have? and can you remember what you were doing prior to the occurrence?

johnny.

MartynHoll 09:50 20 Apr 2006

Windows XP Home. The only thing that I have done recently was installing a wireless router!

MartynHoll 15:28 20 Apr 2006

I have tried restore point back to the 18th March when I knew that I had an e-mail attachment that I could open - the Restore failed! I was able to restore back to 1st April but I still have the problem. I am now attempting to re-install XP!

MartynHoll 15:56 20 Apr 2006

RE-install of XP (SP2) has not worked either! I cannot open old attachments in Outlook Express (that I have opened in the past). Help!!

VoG II 16:03 20 Apr 2006

I assumed thsaty you have checked click here

MartynHoll 16:12 20 Apr 2006

Yes, I have checked and it's not the 'security' issue. It's also strange that I can download files and they disappear!

VoG II 16:22 20 Apr 2006

Try this for the download problem.

1. Open Windows Explorer
2. Then click [Tools] [Folder Options] [File Types]
3. Scroll down to locate the file type.
4. Highlight the file type (example :"PPT Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation")
5. Click the "Advanced" button.
6. Enable the option "confirm open after download"

MartynHoll 17:03 20 Apr 2006

What could be stopping me opening or saving normal files like word documents or excel documents? These are files that I have opened in the past!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?