strange noise on desktop

wky 14:41 21 Dec 2007

Hi all,

There's a problem with my pc which I cant find the source of. Basically there's always random clicking noises, like when a webpage or link is clicked and it loads up, sometimes like when popups come up. I have no webpages etc loaded, and nothing is running onthe desktop. I did a spyware scan using spybot and also a virus scan with avg, it found 8 trojan horses, but they were all deleted. The noises are still there, they don't click constantly just randomly.

Any idea?

Cheers
Wky

€dstowe 15:13 21 Dec 2007

Do you still hear the noise if your turn the sound/speakers off?

wky 15:19 21 Dec 2007

why would there be? it's a noise using the same sound file as the clicks on links and webpages etc.

Gongoozler 15:42 21 Dec 2007

Hi wky, €dstowe is quite rightly trying to establish if the noise is generated by the software or from a mechanical source within the computer. Without having heard the noise this is the first diagnostic step. If you are sure that the noise is from the speaker, then go to control panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Sounds. There you will see a list of all the actions which have been selected to produce a sound. You can remove the sound or select a different one. You may also see an action that shouldn't be there.

Kutulu 01:42 25 Dec 2007

Hi Wky

I am experiencing exactly the same clicking noise. It is nothing to do with the sound schemes as suggested in this forum. I have all sounds turned off and still get the sound.

Definately coming out of speakers as it is the same noise usually generated on clicking a web link.

Have tried Avast and Ad-aware but problem still persists.

MCE2K5 01:47 25 Dec 2007

Is it IE7 Pop-up Blocker.
Click Tools, Pop-up Blocker, Pop-up Blocker Settings, Un-Tick Play a sound when a Pop-up is Blocked.

Bingo.

Coffee Adict 09:48 25 Dec 2007

Are you using a wireless mouse, mine for some unknown reason clicks away to its self occassionally, more of a gentle ticking, which I thought was the computer but have now narrowed it down to the mouse. Don't know the cause, but at least I think thats less serious than the computer.

wky 11:55 25 Dec 2007

Hi,

I'm not using a wireless mouse, and with the pop up blocker, I don't have IE loaded, does it still make this noise?

I've got more now, I was just casually watching a video on my computer when a full blown advert sounded out over the speakers, something along the lines of "innovative technology", and nothing else was loaded lol. It seems as if there's a webpage which always loads and is invisible.

Looked on a few sites and might be the program perf.exe which is causing the problem. I disabled its startup in admin tools/services. It seems to have stopped it, I hope. Still need a way to get rid of it. Although just saying that, I heard a small click, not sure if it was from this website.

Cheers.

Gongoozler 12:34 25 Dec 2007

Try running A-Squared free click here, this sorts out a wide range of nasties.

wky 00:49 28 Dec 2007

Hi again,

Just been looking on some websites and it seems other people have been having this problem as well. It is still happening, and just now another advert sounded, it was for the website octane tv. I looked on a forum which said do a scan of routing.exe and perfs.exe. Here are the results if anyone knows:

routing.exe:

Antivirus Version Last Update Result
AhnLab-V3 - - -
AntiVir - - -
Authentium - - -
Avast - - -
AVG - - -
BitDefender - - -
CAT-QuickHeal - - -
ClamAV - - -
DrWeb - - -
eSafe - - -
eTrust-Vet - - -
Ewido - - -
FileAdvisor - - -
Fortinet - - -
F-Prot - - -
F-Secure - - -
Ikarus - - -
Kaspersky - - -
McAfee - - -
Microsoft - - -
NOD32v2 - - -
Norman - - -
Panda - - -
Prevx1 - - Heuristic: Suspicious File With Bad Child Associations
Rising - - -
Sophos - - -
Sunbelt - - -
Symantec - - -
TheHacker - - -
VBA32 - - suspected of Backdoor.XiaoBird.150 (paranoid heuristics)
VirusBuster - - -
Webwasher-Gateway - - -

perfs.exe

Antivirus Version Last Update Result
AhnLab-V3 - - -
AntiVir - - -
Authentium - - -
Avast - - -
AVG - - -
BitDefender - - -
CAT-QuickHeal - - -
ClamAV - - -
DrWeb - - -
eSafe - - -
eTrust-Vet - - -
Ewido - - -
FileAdvisor - - -
Fortinet - - -
F-Prot - - -
F-Secure - - -
Ikarus - - -
Kaspersky - - -
McAfee - - -
Microsoft - - -
NOD32v2 - - -
Norman - - -
Panda - - -
Prevx1 - - Generic.Rootkit
Rising - - -
Sophos - - -
Sunbelt - - -
Symantec - - -
TheHacker - - -
VBA32 - - -
VirusBuster - - -
Webwasher-Gateway - - -

cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?