Strange message when signing into hotmail

ponytail 12:45 16 Jan 2015
Answered

I have three Hotmail account and this morning when trying to sign in to my main account I got this message.

Welcome, Paul Here's where you manage your account Basic info

Edit your details Change marketing preferences Manage aliases Edit your profile Get account help Payment & billing

Billing overview Manage payment options View purchase history Manage subscriptions Edit billing info Get billing help

Security & privacy

Change password & more Check recent activity Manage related a

and cannot get into my emails and it also happened when I tried my other two accounts so had to turn the laptop off and backmon again and then was able to sign in Can someone advise

wee eddie 12:48 16 Jan 2015

Is this not just the Outlook.com Home Page.

If it is. Just enter an email address and it's Password

ponytail 14:01 16 Jan 2015
Answer

I got this message after entering my email address and my password on all three accounts

lotvic 15:51 16 Jan 2015

That page is the account.live 'Account Settings' why you are being taken straight to it I do not know. When on that page there is no link to click on to get to email. (I couldn't find a link anyhow)

After I log in to my Hotmail/Outlook.com email I can access the same page you get by clicking on my Picture at top right and on dropdown menu click on 'Account Settings'. For me it opens in a new Tab so I still have my email on the first tab.

I can only think that it must be the url that you are using or perhaps a cookie. Try redoing your saved Bookmark/Favourite url to ClickHere">https://mail.live.com/?owa=1&owasuffix=owa%252f&id=64855&snsc=1&cbcxt=mail">ClickHere which specifies 'mail' in the url it is from Microsofts page about Outlook.com Clickhere (Already have an account? Sign in link)

lotvic 15:57 16 Jan 2015

I'll try again with that first link I did, hopefully it will work this time (grr)

Try Bookmark/Favourite url to ClickHereMail

lotvic 16:01 16 Jan 2015

Nope that doesn't work, pca formatting or me stuffed it up. It looked fine in the preview pane with the correct https url but it has somehow pasted a previous copy of fragment of text from clipboard when I pressed post....

ponytail 21:14 16 Jan 2015

Hi lotvic just tried to log into Hotmail and got the same message again on all my three accounts and it also happened after I re-booted my laptop

rdave13 23:37 16 Jan 2015

Could be that your bookmark takes you to that page. Delete the bookmark and google for Outlook.com sign in page. Worth running Ccleaner before hand.

lotvic 23:53 16 Jan 2015

Redo your bookmark/favourite. Go to
click here
and in the Outlook.com basics menu in rightside column, click on 'Sign in / sign out' and it takes you further down the page to that section.

In the 'Sign in / sign out' section at No: 1 it says 'Go to outlook.com and enter your email address and password '

The outlook.com is a link to click on so use that and when you log in it should take you to your Inbox.

If that works I suggest you bookmark / favourite that sign in page for future use.

rdave13 00:26 17 Jan 2015

lotvic removing the bookmark/favourite and running Ccleaner should handle it maybe.

Easier I would have thought.

Cookies returning the page seems to be the problem in my humble opinion.

ponytail 09:43 17 Jan 2015

Have just noticed that when I go into Hotmail using google chrome that is when In get this message but I have a shortcut on my desktop for Hotmail and if I go that way I can get in.Can I contact Hotmail/outlook or is there a forum for it somewhere I can ask the question.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?