Strange message

Creditman 15:16 30 Jan 2004

On leaving Outlook Express I sometimes get the following message appear on a window headed - msimn.exe - Application Error.

X The instruction at "OX77f83905" referenced memory at "OX009a4468". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate programme.

So I do this, the window disappears & nothing seems to have happened. Anyone know what this means ? Should I worry about it ? Thanks

spikeychris 15:24 30 Jan 2004

click here and download the hotfix

spikeychris 15:25 30 Jan 2004

You cant download it!

spikeychris 15:32 30 Jan 2004

Try click here as my first click here has to be specific.

bretsky 20:59 30 Jan 2004

It would appear you have a corrupt identity, to get rid of this message you have to create a new identity and this is very simple to do.

Open OE and go to file, select identities>add new identity and this will take you through a series of wizards, when you have created your new identity {If your identity name is Ken, change it to Kens-Keep it simple}and you have copied over your messages etc, you then go back to file>Identities>manage identities and delete your original identity, so now when you close OE you will not see the error message.

Sounds very long winded but it does work!!!

Good luck.................bretsky;0)

bretsky 21:03 30 Jan 2004

You will need this click here

Bretsky;0)

nick_j007 22:02 30 Jan 2004

Sorry for butting in here, but I have had this same message for a while too. However, instead of it ending like this as stated above "OX009a4468", mine finishes with "0x00964788".
Would the same advice apply please? If not, I can start my own thread ;-)

Nick

bretsky 00:42 31 Jan 2004

Nick_j007 the answer is yes. I had this problem about a year ago and I cannot remember the issue of pca I got this tip from, it was in the helpline section.

But if you follow the on screen instructions from the wizards, it is very simple to do.

bretsky;0)

Sorry creditman for using your thread!

bretsky 00:57 31 Jan 2004

Ihave just done an OCR of the artical from pca I hope you can follow it

I’m using Internet Explorer 6.0 under Windows XP. When I close Outlook Express I receive an error that says: ‘The Instruction at 0x77f536f9 referenced memory at OxOObd4ce4. The memory could not be written. Click Ok to terminate the program’. Apart from this all seems well, although the Outlook Express splashscreen takes seven seconds to appear after clicking the icon. i’d love to solve both problems.

We suspect the two problems are connected. The memory error is usually caused by a corrupt identity. The simplest way to fix it is to create a new identity and import the address book and mail folders from the old identity into the new one. After that, you can delete the old identity.
To create a new identity click on File, Identity, Add New Identity then use the wizard to create a new identity with the same details as the old one. (It might be a good idea to make a note of these details first.) After you’ve finished, you should find that Outlook Express will close without any error.

The next step is to import the data. Restart Outlook Express then select File, Import, Address Book. Locate your address book (it will be in a location like c:\Documents and Settings\ozusername>\ Application Data\Microsoft\ Address Book) and import it.
To import your messages, click on File, Import, Messages. An Import Wizard will start.

Select ‘Microsoft Outlook Express 6’ from the import format list (Shown below) then click Next. Select ‘Import mail from an OE6 identity’ (the default) and then select the name of your old identity.

Click Ok and the wizard will display the name of the folder containing the messages. Then click Next. You can now choose the message folders you wish to import or accept the default setting ‘All folders’. Click Next again and your messages will be imported.

To remove the old, corrupt identity, click on File, Identities, Manage Identities. Select the old identity and click Remove.

bretsky;0)...........................

Creditman 12:19 31 Jan 2004

Many thanks to bretsky & spikeychris.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?