Strange Internet/wifi issue

cymru78 15:01 28 Jun 2009

I have rarely had wifi problems apart from the usual things, but this is something I have never had or heard of.

A couple of days ago, my Zoom X6 wireless modem (which is a great modem) was having problems keeping a stable wireless signal.
So much so, that I noticed it was going off every few seconds and then reconnecting.
This is after being stable for a long time.

I thought it must be the modem, so I dug out my old d-link G604T and the same thing happens.

BUT, it's not the actual wifi - I know this because my wireless desktop and wireless laptop tell me they are connected to the wifi network (and I can also access my server which is connected to router by ethernet) but it is only connecting 'local only'.

However, every now and then, the router does actually connect for a short while (are you still with me)
The problem appears to be with the adsl.

I have changed channels and settings and cables etc etc and nothing is working. Both routers still only connect 'local only' apart form the very odd occassion.

I am currently connected using a cabled modem (speedtouch).

I have recently ordered some homeplugs but I still need wifi for the Nintendo wii to work online.

Please can someone help me - I have posted the same question in another forum but it has stumped everyone!

I should also note that I am in no way new to simple networking and I've had my fair share of problems before and solved lots of friends networking troubles - but this, I have never seen!

Forum Editor 00:35 29 Jun 2009

the router is having a problem establishing a stable connection with your ISP.

Have you tried switching the router off, disconnecting it from the ADSL microfilter,waiting for a couple of minutes and then turning everything back on again?

This will force the router to establish a new ADSL connection and acquire a new IP address from your ISP. It may fix the problem. If it doesn't we'll have to delve a little deeper, but try that first.

cymru78 10:02 29 Jun 2009

it's ok now.
I finally discoveredthat for some reason I was unable to connect through the router with security turned on for no apparent reason.

I eventually got it working fine late last night and so far so good

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone