strange email attachments

Phrixos 21:44 18 Nov 2005

Hi,

Something weird has just atarted happening to my computer (after haveing downloaded a bunch of Microsoft's famous "Critical Updates"!)

Now, whenever I send an email, it goes out with and automatic attachment--always with a filename like
"ATT000019.htm"

Each time, the filename is different, but where only the last two or three digits (the 019) changes. Everthing else in the filename stays the same.

I thought this might be a virus, but, and since nothing showed up in Norton Antivirus, I chnced to open one--then more--of the files.

It turns out, the mysterious attachment is an exact copy of the text of the email itself. (Of course I don't know if THAT conotains a virus.)

Anybody know what's going on here. I can't stop this.

All the best,
Phrixos

VoG II 21:49 18 Nov 2005

Some reading click here

Phrixos 10:10 04 Jan 2006

Any ideas in this, anyone?

octal 10:24 04 Jan 2006

Reading the information in VoG™'s link, the only thing I can possiblt explain is the attachment contains special unicodes that are required to decode the email, how are you sending emails? If you are sending them as HTML try sending them as text only and see if you still get the same problem.

I have seen this happen before, and you are correct its an exact copy of the email.

wotbus@ 11:05 04 Jan 2006

I don't think it's a security issue so don't worry about it. I have received similar stuff several times - particularly when an email is returned for whatever reason. The file represents the email itself.

pauldonovan 11:16 04 Jan 2006

..it sounds like when your email program is set to "send as html" format, it actually sends two copies - one html and one text.

So it could be that in your settings somewhere you've told it to view messages as plain text so it is showing the html as an attachment. Either change that, or, change your sending format from HTML to plain text.

Phrixos 15:01 05 Jan 2006

went into tools>options> send, and saw that the HTML button was operative. Changed to plain text. Will see if this has any effect.

Thanks,
Phrixos

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Corel Painter 2018 launched, adding tools for thick paint

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?