strange dvd problems... i'm at a loss

brokencorialis 23:53 11 May 2008

I'm currently using an asus A7c series laptop which has served me well for almost a year now, however recently the dvd drive has started to play up.

It reads CDs, and perculiarly my ubuntu live boot dvd and windows vista 'recovery' dvd, but refuses to recognise any other discs. I've tried it under xp and vista and from boot for the boot dvds. To put it bluntly I'm more or less at a complete loss.

The one lead i do have is that this could have started to happen shortly after the asus 'live update' decided to flash the bios (I don't use the dvd drive much, but it's a pain to be unable to play dvds on what is meant to be a 'media center', so the timing is uncertain), failed and returned it to default values. I've tried downloading the two bios versions available from their websites and flashing using the bios menu application but they both end up with the same way.

I'd really appreciate some guidance here.

crosstrainer 08:14 12 May 2008

I am assuming this is a DVDRW drive? These have 2 laser's, and if one is on it's way out the symptoms you describe can appear.

You could try cleaning the drive with a DVD CD cleaning kit (a drop of fluid and a special cd) If that fails, It may well be that your drive is on it's way out. The other thing you could try is a different brand of media.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?