Strange distortion problem.

castiel333 13:58 30 May 2009

When I switched user last night, after having used the pc with no problems, the desktop, any windows that I opened, Internet pages etc were all a strange distorted shape. Across the top and bottom it's fine but the two sides go inwards like an hour glass shape.

I have tried using the settings on the moniter but it does not help.

Even the section that opens when you click on start is distorted.

I have tried googling the problem but can't find any results for this.

The pc is running xp sp2 and I have good security.

Could anyone please tell me how I can put this right.

Thank you.

DieSse 14:06 30 May 2009

I presume this is a CRT monitor, not an LCD one??

Either you need to adjust the "barrel" distortion setting - or, if it's pretty bad and a sudden change from OK, then it's a monitor fault. In a CRT it's probably not worth even trying a repair (which is likely to be difficult to arrange, and not cheap). A new LCD screen is not so expensive and you'll have a three year warranty on most if not all makes.

castiel333 14:13 30 May 2009

Yes it is a crt monitor.

I have tried all the adjustments but that didn't work.

I wasn't sure if malware or the pc was the problem but now I know it's the monitor I will replace it.

Thank you for your help.

wiz-king 15:54 30 May 2009

Try turning the monitor off and unplugging it, leave it for a couple of minutes then plug it in again. You should hear a short quite loud hum as it demagnetises itself. If that does not work turn on the PC and wait till it displays the desktop and see if that degaussing has made any difference. You may be able to adjust the barrel distortion from the menu buttons on the monitor (cant help with instructions as they differ widely between monitors) but as DieSse said a sudden change indicates it's on the way out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?