strange dialogue box behaviour in Firefox

User-C482BBE1-3EDD-4A99-BEDC0BD6B59295E3 15:03 04 Feb 2009

When I open Firefox homepage a small blank rectangular dialogue box appears under the cursor and persists on screen for 4-5 seconds every time I move the cursor on any part of the screen. If I then click on any link the subsequent dialogue box opens whenever I hover over any other link. EG If I click on ANT video player on my home page the ant video player dialogue box appears throughout the whole browsing session regardless of how many other links I click on as well as popping up when the cursor is stationary on any part of the page albeit for those few seconds. I'm using FIREFOX 3.0.5 I can't find any related problems on the FF forums.

Grateful for any advice

Pootie

birdface 15:08 04 Feb 2009

Go into Firefox update,Version 3.0.6. is there to be downloaded.

Hi buteman.

I have installed Firefox 3.0.6 but problem persists. It doesn't happen in IE7 or Opera so I'm assuming it's not a mouse issue (Logitech cordless optical.) I took out the batteries and reset it just in case but no change. I'm also assuming it's nothing to do with Vista for the same reason.

Pootie

Sea Urchin 16:34 04 Feb 2009

You could try disabling tooltips

If you want to disable tooltips in Firefox, start by typing about:config into the address bar. In the list that appears, find browser.chrome.toolbar_tips. An easy way to find it is to start typing browser.chro into the filter box. Once you have found the item, double-click on it to change it from true to false. Now when you are browsing, tooltips should be disabled. Simply double-click again to change things back.

Hello Sea Urchin

Thank you very much. that little tweak has done the trick. I don't know how you folk learn all this stuff but I'm very glad you do.

Pootie

Sea Urchin 20:48 04 Feb 2009

Thanks for the feedback - good to know it worked for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?