Strange desktop corruption

AragornUK 11:23 15 Oct 2006

Hi all.

It's been a while since I was in here, but it's time to prod the grey matter out there again.

Today all of a sudden my desktop appears to have developed a mind of its own. As my desktop I seem to have acquired an enlarged 'folder view' from Windows Explorer. Imagine opening an empty folder in XP. You have the tasks pane on the left and the blank white area on the right. I have the task pane from Folder Tasks downwards, and the 'empty' folder area. I have tried changing the desktop settings to no avail. My wallpaper is there underneath. I see it at boot. Then this folder view takes over.

I (annoyingly) had just deactivated Sys Restore to free a little diskspace and was going to reactivate it. As usual, this is when problems occur.

Any ideas?

AragornUK 11:58 15 Oct 2006

**update**

The folder that appears to have taken over the desktop is an empty version of the desktop folder itself. Don't know if this helps at all.

rawprawn 12:57 15 Oct 2006

click here try running Ewido for malware and do a virus scan

AragornUK 14:55 15 Oct 2006

Thanks.

I've done virus scans/adware scans but nothing out of the ordinary was present. This seemed to occur during a software install. When installing software, sometimes the Start menu folder containing the icons opens up. On this occasion an empty Desktop folder opened, maximised off screen and is now there permanently. When powering down my normal desktop is restored briefly.

AragornUK 15:03 15 Oct 2006

By restoring 'show desktop icons' I now have a partial desktop back. However the tasks pane is still down the left. A screenshot is here:

click here

rawprawn 15:09 15 Oct 2006

Try a system file scan, go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (Watch the space between sfc and /) hit enter. You will need your XP CD

AragornUK 15:43 15 Oct 2006

No change :o(

During sfc I kept being asked to insert my XP Professional CD into the drive - it already was. As a precaution I ran a copy off (in case it was read errors causing the problem) and it was exactly the same with the copy.

Still no 'normal' desktop, and head getting sore from banging against wall.....

On creating a new user, all's fine. But surely it should be possible to fix THIS user?

rawprawn 15:53 15 Oct 2006

Have a look here click here

AragornUK 15:57 15 Oct 2006

Before I go deleting things: that seems to be on about desktop ICONS displaying incorrectly. My problem is the desktop itself not displaying right. This doesn't seem to be a common problem cos I'm really struggling to find similar issues through Google etc.

AragornUK 16:05 15 Oct 2006

Hey Ho. No such file as the one mentioned in the link. Anyway, I suddenly had one last thought. I redownloaded TweakUI and used the setting in there to disable the ability to add web content to the desktop. After refreshing the desktop, I've got a normal desktop again.

Ruddy PCs.

Thanks for your input rawprawn.

rawprawn 16:14 15 Oct 2006

I'm glad you are sorted, well done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?