Strange behaviour after XP reinstall

Compassion 01:22 08 Sep 2004

Recently the hard drive of my 2-year old Evesham laptop collapsed, and I sent it back to the manufacturer to be replaced. They reinstalled WinXP along with SP1, but I'm now having some problems that I didn't have before, with the computer hanging on a regular basis.

A couple of times a day, Windows Explorer 'hangs' and closes (desktop goes blank except for my wallpaper). Clicking Start can also cause WE to close. Sometimes I get the "Windows Explorer has encountered a serious error and needs to close", sometimes not. Also, usually after one of these events, the ability to minimise a program by clicking it on the toolbar seems disabled.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows how to fix it, as googling + MS website have not been helpful.

Thanks

Giggle n' Bits 01:33 08 Sep 2004

also have you got virus software installed & updated ?

Compassion 01:03 09 Sep 2004

Thanks for the advice, Audio LaLa. I've checked all my drivers are up to date. I have AV, firewall + spyware software with latest updates.

Unfortunately, the problem is still occurring, with WE closing 4 times today during a 2-hour period, mainly when trying to open a folder, which is obviously extremely frustrating.

Could this behaviour be caused by hardware/reinstallation issues or is it more likely to be wacky Windows causing the problem?

C

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?