strange alarm sound!

moby58 19:20 14 Jan 2007

in the last few days,my laptop has started making a sound like a clock alarm,for about 4 seconds.ive never heard this sound before and nothing appears on the screen.it only happens 2 or 3 times a day,for no apparent reason.have checked anti virus[avast]but it has different alarm sounds.help!

thms 20:37 14 Jan 2007

Don't know much about laptops but could be a temperature alarm.

Is your laptop heating up when this happens.

moby58 21:17 14 Jan 2007

doesnt seem to be hotter than usual.noticed your reply to "beep beep" and bios...coincidental we should both have this sound recently ,when weve never had it before?.my problem sounds the same as his,as the beeps are of a certain sound??.....

thms 21:28 14 Jan 2007

The beep codes I linked to in the other thread refer to the beeps heard when you switch on your computer.

If the alarm you are getting is happening after your computer has been running for a while this will be something else.

Some bios features are set to sound an alarm if the computer reaches a certain temperature or if the fans go below a set rpm.

geewis357 21:28 14 Jan 2007

I had a similar experience with my ACER laptop after I accidently spilt whiskey on the keyboard, when it had dried out the alarm sounded as you describe, I hit any key and a few seconds later it stopped and booted ok, I did a reinstall ant think are ok now.

moby58 21:57 14 Jan 2007

doesnt happen on start up...just random...,so must be something else.

thms 21:59 14 Jan 2007

Try checking your case fan. It may be clogged up with dust.

Stuartli 22:00 14 Jan 2007

Do you use Avast! It emits such a noise when warning of a virus, Trojan etc.

moby58 09:49 15 Jan 2007

i do use avast...but that sound is more like a siren...this is a beep!beep beep beep!with no screen warning of a virus/trojan..

thms 12:05 15 Jan 2007

Your not alone click here looking through some of them problems vary from hard drive failure, dodgy memory and battery.

If you have google desktop see this click here

thms 12:07 15 Jan 2007

Last link should be click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?