Storing emails

sajeev 15:45 12 Jul 2009

I have just completed an event which has generated a very large number of emails over a period of one year. Many of these emails have attachments in the form of word/excel documents and also pictures.
Though the event emails are in a separate set of folders in Inbox and Sent Items, I would like to store them elsewhere as they are slowing down OE considerably. This storage could be on external disc/drive or online. What is the best (simplest and safest-in terms of retrieval) way to do this?
I use Outlook Express 6 and Windows XP home with SP 3.
Thanks
Sajeev

rawprawn 16:00 12 Jul 2009
  sajeev 17:08 12 Jul 2009

Thanks rawprawn.
Have followed the instructions in the link and pasted the folders in th Mail backup folder.
However on attempting to open any of the folders,all I get is a Word document with gibberish.
Please let me know what I am doing wrong.
Thanks
Sajeev

rawprawn 17:25 12 Jul 2009

I don't use OE, but I think that you can't open the backup file in word you have to import it back into OE.
I didn't realise that you wanted to read the stored backups.

Sea Urchin 20:05 12 Jul 2009

One easy way of doing it is to create new folder/s on the desktop - maybe for OldInbox and OldSent. Then open OE6 and move the window so that you can see the folders you've created.

Open the appropriate folder in OE and then highlight (using Ctrl and/or Shift) all the mails you wish to save. Then drag the complete block with your mouse and drop onto the required desktop folder. This operation can take some time if you have a lot of messages - then repeat for the other folder/s.

The desktop folders can then be saved to disk if you wish, and the advantage is that the mails can be opened and read from those files.

Once you're sure you have captured them safely you can delete those left in OE.

brundle 20:09 12 Jul 2009

MailStore is perfect for that; click here

sajeev 23:47 12 Jul 2009

Thanks!
Tried Sea Urchin's method and it worked for me.Shall save on disc as advised.
Shall check out MailStore when I have a moment.
Thanks to everybody
Sajeev

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?