storing burnt cds and dvds... do not stack?

theDarkness 18:08 04 Jan 2007

Ive noticed on my Panasonic dvd-rs (the more expensive £29.99 ones with the white printable label) they state to never store them stacked.. but... they come in a stack of 25 in a spindle? why should a burnt disc be any less safe stored in this manner-anyone know? if they could b damaged while stored away from heat etc i dont see a problem, but if burnt discs really can damage in this way then surely blank discs could also

Totally-braindead 18:52 04 Jan 2007

The only thing I can think of is, when they are new and unused they just sit there, but when you have burnt them you are constantly moving them about to get to the disk you are trying to find. Therefore theres more chance of scratching them.
Might not be the reason but its the only thing I can think of. Once burnt I always keep my disks in a case or a sleeve anyway to stop it getting scratched and to make it easier to find.
Seems like an odd comment for them to make though.

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:23 04 Jan 2007

Perhaps they asume you are going to print labels on them and the ink may contaminate the disc above .

Input Overload 21:57 04 Jan 2007

I use the wallets to store date DVD's & Cd's in, they are only £2.50 or so from SVP for a wallet that holds 48. I have Cd's with data on that are 10 years old & are sill accessible without problem, and DVD’s that are over 5 years old that read ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?