Storage Volumes

Graham. 14:56 15 May 2009

Vista Home Premium - in Device Manager under Storage Volumes, there are 4 Generic volumes. All show an exclamation mark.

Their status shows as 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)' Is this a result of stopping things from starting using Windows Defender?

Everything seems to be working OK.

User-1229748 14:58 15 May 2009

have you got system restore working?

Graham. 15:11 15 May 2009

Yes I have.

woodchip 15:16 15 May 2009

Do you have a Card Reader? If so the Drives are Memory slots depending on the one you use it in. You cannot access a slot unless it as a Card in it

Technotiger 15:17 15 May 2009

Dunno the answer to that, but I would dump Defender, there are plenty of better Security programs available - you may already be using one or more of them!

Defender used to be called 'Giant AntiSpyware', the name does not induce much feeling of reliability to me.

Technotiger 15:19 15 May 2009

If they are as woodchip suggests, have you installed any software for your card-reader?

woodchip 15:20 15 May 2009

In Device Manager Click on each then click uninstall until you have removed all four then restart Computer and look to see if they come back

Graham. 15:30 15 May 2009

You may have it there - it has 4 card readers, but the SD one is very erratic so I use an external USB one. I'll uninstall them as you suggest.

Graham. 15:42 15 May 2009

They came back after restart, so I've disabled them. Thanks woodchip.

Technotiger, I don't use Defender as such, I just discovered I could use it to stop things starting.

Technotiger 15:48 15 May 2009

A better way to stop things starting, is to use click here

T0SH 16:05 15 May 2009

One of the most common causes of Storage Volume problems with odd characters showing up at the end of the storage volume name, this also exibits itself by generating an error when trying to use Safely Remove Hardware,and is somehow caused by implimenting a disaster recovery using an Acronis Drive Image (up to version 11 that I know of)

The fix is uninstall/reinstall as woodchip suggested but you can also do a driver update both methods seem to sort the problem

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?