Stopzilla - now PC will not start Windows XP

compumac 20:16 07 May 2008

Yesterday, in his infinite wisdom one of my neighbours downloaded and installed Stopzilla which he took to be a free antispyware programme. Now when he tries to boot up he receives the error code 0x80004005 before the Windows splash screen and then receives further messages with reference to the activation code and it will not go any further. You are also unable to start in Safe Mode and upon googling I find that with regard to error x800045005 it states “a third party backup utility or an antivirus programme interferes with the installation of Windows XP.”
I note that there are people out there who commented on Stopzilla but with reference to being unable to uninstall and find that it is not a free programme. He had no problems whatsoever prior to the installtion of Stopzilla and I believe that Stopzilla has caused the problem
On the Microsoft website I have discovered a workaround. Does anyone know of any other way of resolving the problem? (easily?)

Ditch999 21:45 07 May 2008

When you say it hung when you tried the XP CD and Recovery, at what stage did it actually stop? Was there any activity at all, hard disk or CD rom lights flickering?

compumac 22:44 07 May 2008

After selecting Recovery Console you were then requested as to the drive which is 'C' and then for the adminstrator password and then it reached C:/Windows and then there were no further instructions. It is such a long time ago that I have pursued this avenue but I seem to remember that there were several dialogue entries. This time there wre just two - Drive and Administrator password. At this time I am considering formatting and re-installing Windows XP but am trying to elicit from the neighbour as to what CD's that he has relating to this particular PC, unfortunately his grasp of computers is somewhat limited and I do not want to format unless it is the last resort.

Ashrich 23:25 07 May 2008

Try booting from the XP CD again , but go past the repair console , and carry on until it finds Windows on the C drive and THEN select repair , it will rewrite the Windows installation without harming anything else .

Ashley

compumac 09:00 08 May 2008

As I said, I have reached the stage of Recovery and got as far as the C:/windows prompt. What are you suggesting at that point as there does not apear to be any options other than help prompts?

Ditch999 16:03 08 May 2008

When you get to the C:\Windows prompt type in cd \ and then click enter ( Note: between "cd" and "\" there should be a "blank space" otherwise the command won't work.

Type: Cd system~1\_resto~1

If it gives an error "Access Denied" while accessing the folder, follow the method below

Type: cd \

Then click enter

Type: cd windows\system32\config

Then click enter

Type: ren system system.bak

Then click enter

(note the spaces between ren and system, and then between system and system.bak)

Type: exit

Then click enter

now the computer should restart, then follow steps 1-6 of the article.

Type: dir

Then click enter

NOTICE: When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like "rp1", "rp2" we have to see the last restore point to copy the file from a recent backup. If the restore points have more than one page then you have keep on hitting the key to view the last restore point folder.

NOTICE: It is a good rule of thumb to choose the files from the restore point folder which the second to the last one.

4.Type: cd rp {with the second to the last restore point no. } (Note: Example: cd rp9. if rp10 is the last restore point. where last restore point no. =10)

Then click enter

5.Type: cd snapshot

NOTICE: Now the command Prompt will look like this

c:\system~1\resto~1\rp9\snapshot

(Note : restore point 9 assumed for clarity of the content, you have to go to the last restore point folder as described in the previous lines) Now according to the error message we have to copy the appropriate file from the restore point folder.

NOTE: The appropriate command should be used according to the error message. But often times I do both to make sure they match each other.

If the file "system" is corrupted

Type: copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Then click enter

If the file "software" is corrupted

Type: copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

Then click enter

Type Exit

Then click enter to restart computer and boot to the hard drive normally.

If this does not work, then you should try an earlier restore point. Normally 2 or 3 more restore points back. If that does not work your drive may be corrupt. At this point you will have a couple of different options.

compumac 18:55 08 May 2008

Thanks for the info. I will be bringing the PC back to my home over the weekend and will try your suggestion. I do not want to do it at my neighbours home as he keeps going off at a tangent.

Ashrich 20:00 08 May 2008

What I was trying to say is that if you go past the option for the recovery console and opt to load Windows it will scan to see if it is already loaded , and give you the option to either wipe clean , load in to another directory ( other that C:/WINDOWS ) or do a repair if it finds that it is corrupt , I was advocating the third choice . This isn't always available , it depends if Microsoft decides that the Windows installation needs repairing , but it is worth looking at ( and for ) instead of a complete re-install .

Ashley

Ditch999 20:31 08 May 2008

This is probably a better description with pictures to go with it click here
It also tells you how to run the chkdsk facility and the fixmbr facility which is probably a good place to start rather than diving straight in to a restore point recovery.

compumac 21:19 08 May 2008

Thanks both. Will look at these alternatives over the weekend.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)