Stopzilla - now PC will not start Windows XP

compumac 20:16 07 May 2008

Yesterday, in his infinite wisdom one of my neighbours downloaded and installed Stopzilla which he took to be a free antispyware programme. Now when he tries to boot up he receives the error code 0x80004005 before the Windows splash screen and then receives further messages with reference to the activation code and it will not go any further. You are also unable to start in Safe Mode and upon googling I find that with regard to error x800045005 it states “a third party backup utility or an antivirus programme interferes with the installation of Windows XP.”
I note that there are people out there who commented on Stopzilla but with reference to being unable to uninstall and find that it is not a free programme. He had no problems whatsoever prior to the installtion of Stopzilla and I believe that Stopzilla has caused the problem
On the Microsoft website I have discovered a workaround. Does anyone know of any other way of resolving the problem? (easily?)

MAT ALAN 20:42 07 May 2008

click here
try the uninstaller under tools

then run this

click here

compumac 20:47 07 May 2008

He has CCleaner on his PC but we cannot boot up to access it.
Support.microsoft.com/kbid-290301 is not available.

Ditch999 21:02 07 May 2008

Use the XP cd to boot to the recovery console and perform a system restore from there. click here
Ignore the bits which says CHKDSK and FIXBOOT. Only use this to get a restore point prior to Stopzilla was installed

compumac 21:04 07 May 2008

Tried the XP CD and selected recovery - it just hung and hung and hung......

MAT ALAN 21:06 07 May 2008

safe mode or last known good configuration

click here

compumac 21:08 07 May 2008

Tried both safe mode and last known configuration. Both go nowhere.

Ditch999 21:08 07 May 2008

It must be a hardware fault then as when you boot from a cd that is the only data which is used (apart from the BIOS) You could try setting the BIOS to defaults then just changing the boot order to CD first.

Ditch999 21:09 07 May 2008

Or clean the XP cd

compumac 21:15 07 May 2008

I had prior, to trying the XP disc, used Symantec Recovery disc which gives the option to recover the PC to the last known configuration that worked OK and that process went the same way as the XP CD.

MAT ALAN 21:18 07 May 2008

click here

as you have suggested it relates to the activation code, try the methods in the link.

if you cannot perform these i fear the worst which would be to format and reinstall...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?