Stop/Start response to all functions

wids001 08:36 24 Jul 2009

I am running a Dell Dimension 2400 with 750mb ram 40gig HD (19gig spare) & 250gig HD (65gig Spare) with onboard graphics card.

My problem is that whatever I am doing on the computer, opening/closing programs, updating files etc, there is always a delay.

As an example, upon pressing enter in IE7 the menu bar along the top of the screen turns white (File, Edit, View, etc,etc disappear). If I press enter again "Not Responding" appears. Then after around 30 seconds the screen returns to normal and I am then able to continue.

This sequence of events happens EVERYTIME I press enter and irrespective of which program I am accessing. Programes used include Music Collector, Winrar, Media Player 11, Nero 7, IE7, AOL Browser 9, plus those listed below.

I run Norton 2009 regularly along with CCleaner & Superantispyware. Both discs are defragged on a regular basis (when required).

I have checked Task Manager during this and the CPC load is 100% whilst computer is "not responding".

ened 09:01 24 Jul 2009

Looks like you don't have enough memory.

Make sure you don't have anything spurious running in the back ground by checking your Start Up file.

Click Start and type: msconfig. It will appear at the top of the list and you then click on the Start Up Tab. Disable anything you don't think you need. If you are unsure about a process then Google it before disabling it but in general terms it shouldn't stop you running even if you 'disable all'.

Graphicool1 10:08 24 Jul 2009

Try this...
Click the 'Start' button
Click 'Run'
At the command promp type or copy and paste...

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

(if typing the above pay attention to spaces either side of '/i')
Press 'Enter' on the keyboard
This little code will re-register all the DLL files.

If this doesn't make any difference, try the following...

Click on 'My Computer'
Right click C: (your OS drive)
In menu click 'Properties'
Click the 'Tools' tab
Under 'Error Checking' click 'Check Now'
click the box next to...
'Automatically Fix File System Errors'
Click 'Start'
A notice will say it can't do it until the next time you boot. Click 'Yes' and reboot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?