stopping trojans

brigtoo 17:29 23 Aug 2007

i have the following progs. with real time scanning, avg-antispyware; superanti-spyware; spywareblaster; avg anti virus; oh and i nearly forgot windows defender. yet a scan by a2 free found the Trojab.Win32.Patched.af, which it removed. my question is would i be better off having a2 with real time scanning, as i would have thought i had sufficient protection.

rawprawn 17:45 23 Aug 2007

I think you have sufficient protection, we can all get paranoid about malware, but much of it is not in any way critical. I personally run Ad aware, Spybot and Spywareblaster (also Windows Defender, part of Vista)A2 is an excellent program, but you will aalways find that one program will find something the others did not.Make sure that your Firewall is OK

Andy1991 19:12 23 Aug 2007

Yeah, also you might be interested in McAfee SiteAdvisor. click here
its like a traffic light to safe and dangerous sites.

brigtoo 19:53 23 Aug 2007

i can only think that the trojan came via spam e-mail, if thats possible, as i visit the same sites every time i surf, i.e. soccer, hifi, clay pigeon shooting pc forums and travel, but i suppose it could have come from any of these.

skidzy 20:10 23 Aug 2007

Have you downloaded anything recently ?

It is quite possible one of the servers at the sites you visit have become infected.

This has happened to some of us when trying to help out around christmas,all we did was click the supplied link to the web site the forum member had problems with.
This turned out to be the server infected.

And those of us who use AVG free,did not get notified untill we scanned our systems.

brigtoo 20:58 23 Aug 2007

the only thing i can remember downloading was from the horse & country site but ive accessed a lot of hotel sites lately, so it could be any of these.
the reason i asked the original question was because the trojan seems to be quite well known, and i thought my present real time scanners would have detected it, and since a2 is aware of it, it might be better at real time scanning.
at least being paranoid occupies the mind :)
thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?