Stopping login bypass

Eagie 20:43 13 Oct 2003

Is there are way or disabling the cancel command (and escape key press) when logging on to a network?

We have sensitive material on our hard drives at work but when you get to the network logo prompt all you have to do is press escape or select cancel and you can quite happily access all the data on the c drive.

Cheers,

James

MAJ 21:40 13 Oct 2003

You'll probably need to uprade to Win 2000 or XP for better security, Eagie.

Eagie 21:43 13 Oct 2003

Cheers for that Maj - not sure the company will shell out for that kind of upgrade. There must be another way I can restrict access to the local drive.

Eagie 21:58 13 Oct 2003

Thanks for that ßéŁâ - will try it at work tomorrow.

Eagie 09:52 14 Oct 2003

Couldn't get that registry tweak to work. I set up a new user name but when I restarted, edited the registry and then logged back on, my new user account had disappeared and pressing the cancel button at logon worked as usual.

The other problem with that solution in my case is that I want to be able to allow mulitple people with different passwords to logon to the machine - not just one user.

fitshase 10:10 14 Oct 2003

How about password protecting those vital folders so only people who are authorised can access the files?

Try here:

click here

Fitshase

fitshase 10:25 14 Oct 2003

You could also try this:-

"Disable Cancel Button in Login Session

If your Win95 Computer is used in multiple user environt. You can restrict the computer just for authorized user by disabling the Cancel Button in login session. Follow these steps:

1. run REGEDIT.

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-- Network-- Logon.

3. Add a DWORD Value named "MustBeValidated"

4. Fill that value by 1.

Shutdown your computer and Logon as different user, you will see that the cancel button has been disabled"

taken from click here

Fitshase

Eagie 13:50 14 Oct 2003

The last answer was exactly the one I was looking for. So now I can sleep well in the knowledge that my work PC's are a little more secure!

Ta,

James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?