Stopping the kids messing with settings

So Simple 21:22 30 Nov 2006

Having just ordered a new PC, I really need to stop my kids trying to be 'helpful' and messing with the settings.
I would like to password protect the BIOS, Control Panel, internet settings, loading crap software from cereal packets and anything else that will reduce my stress levels everytime I find they have messed with it. I would also like to limit their access and short of removing the wifi router/adapter (they have PSP's too!) I am unsure what to do...probably because they know more than me (they are 10 & 11 after all!)

Any suggestions from people who have 'been there' would be appreciated.

anskyber 21:27 30 Nov 2006

You have the only administrator account which you should password protect. Give them a normal account which does not allow them to download anything.

anskyber 21:28 30 Nov 2006
  Belatucadrus 21:34 30 Nov 2006

Read these first click here click here

You may also find this useful click here

Belatucadrus 21:37 30 Nov 2006

You may also like avast! antivirus click here free for home use and you can set a password to stop them trying to turn it off or fiddle with the settings.

skidzy 21:45 30 Nov 2006

Hi again So Simple.

I know where you are coming from regarding the children,i find it best to just monitor them and allow 2 hours a night surfing including there homework.
Now if they break the rules,they get banned from the pc.

Regardless of what program you decide to use,i think it comes down to trust.

Here is a program that may do as you ask,i havnt used this myself but have seen it recommended several times.Sadly you have to pay for it. Netnanny= click here

bluto1 21:48 30 Nov 2006

And the guys who posted here, THANK YOU a million times. I`ve been searching for some of these links for a week or so.

So Simple 21:49 30 Nov 2006

I'm sure this sounds impossible, but although I've got control panel on classic view, when I click on user accounts it only shows in category view. I want to enable the CRTL, ALT,DEL setting as it means I can lock the pc without logging off or hibernating. Any ideas how to get to the advanced tab?

I've just set up limited accounts and feel like I'm making progress!

So Simple 21:57 30 Nov 2006

Skidzy, thanks again. Think I'll trial Netnanny on the new PC as it sounds exactly like the kind of thing I was looking for and for £25ish could be a bargain. Can't wait to see the look on their faces!

skidzy 22:02 30 Nov 2006

If you think its good within the trial,let me know.It will be interesting to know how good it really is,i must admit i have thought of it for some time now.

I have recently rebuilt this system,and the kids are crying to get on it,but the man from delmonte says NO ! :-)

We have 3 systems,another on order..and still they want the new build.

The one thing i would keep an eye on...is MSN and the file transfers...who knows what they can pick up...well i do know !

wjrt 22:19 30 Nov 2006

gets better as time passes . boy,18,has just bought his own system ans helps me now after years of struggling to keep things going. staying up late playing his games so that could give hints when he got stuck and not letting him get too downhearted. it can only get better

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?