Stopping a cookie

Meshuga 18:16 01 Jan 2005

I have a problem in trying to block a cookie called Burstnet.com. This is a product of a company which collects data to pass on to advertisers. I have Never accessed this web site. I run Adaware, Spybot,Spysubtract, Spywareblaster and Giant antispyware. The only one that picks this up is Giant. Although I have blocked it in those programs it still reappears. I thought that Spywareblaster was supposed to stp things getting in in the first place rather than removing them. This cookie is shown as "Very low threat" but can anyone tell me how to stop it as I`d feel happier without it. Meshuga.

LinuxPenguin 18:39 01 Jan 2005

giant IS spyware

Meshuga 18:46 01 Jan 2005

LinuxPenguin,Giant state that they are categorically not spyware. Where did you get your info from please as I`ve not heard it before.

ACOLYTE 19:09 01 Jan 2005

click here

Very good app for cookie control i have used it for ages.

Meshuga 19:19 01 Jan 2005

Thanks ACOLYTE, forgot to mention I already have cookie wall and the offending cookie is listed in the box to be deleted as it comes in and yet Giant still picks it up.

LinuxPenguin 20:40 01 Jan 2005

AFAIK, it triesd to pass itself off as a spyware app but is actually spyware itself, believe it or not, adaware is, but the benefit of that outweighs the cons. With giant though, it doesnt..

Meshuga 21:10 01 Jan 2005

Thanks for that LinuxPenguin, I am amazed and will look into this further as I paid for the program. Having read the writeup of the company on their website they purport to be totally dedicated to protection from spyware. Perhaps the FE would give us his opinion on this?.

CurlyWhirly 22:18 01 Jan 2005

AFAIK, it tries to pass itself off as a spyware app but is actually spyware itself, believe it or not, adaware is, but the benefit of that outweighs the cons. With giant though, it doesnt..

If the company is spyware then why does Microsoft go on to BUY the company?
click here

I would have thought that would be the LAST thing that Microsoft would do i.e. buy a company that installs spyware on IT'S Windows operating system!

woodchip 22:21 01 Jan 2005

You can stop it with the right Browser I use Netscape that can be set to stop individual cookies and pop-ups

Meshuga 08:40 02 Jan 2005

Curly Whirly,having checked out your "click here" I am inclined to agree with your comment,ie: that it is not spyware.With thanks to all I am going to tick this for the time being.Meshuga.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone