Stopping Checkdisk on startup

bjantbear 09:52 02 Jul 2008

I have just reinstalled Windows XP Home and I would like to stop Checkdisk from running automatically when I start up.

Can some one help me, please?

Also can someone tell me how to skip the accounts log in screen. I never used to have it but I do not remember how to stop it.

rawprawn 10:27 02 Jul 2008

. First click Start> Run> bring up a command prompt by typing in “CMD” and type ” fsutil dirty query d: “. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type “CHKNTFS /X D:”. The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

rawprawn 10:30 02 Jul 2008

login click here

bjantbear 13:56 02 Jul 2008

Thanks rawpawn for your solutions and here's the update.

Item one has worked alright.

Iten 2 does not work properly. When I restart the PC and I reach the welcome screen the PC freezes and then nothing happens.

Just before the welcome screen starts there is a quick flash of the log-in screen and then it disappears.

If I can't get rid of it I will just have to live with it but it is annoying as I never had this before I re-installed windows.

rawprawn 14:31 02 Jul 2008

Control panel - user accounts - change the way users log on and off - take the check mark out of use welcome screen - click apply options

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?