stop qttask from starting at start-up

Ballie 13:22 05 Jan 2006

I have tried everything I know to stop the quick time "qttask" from starting at start-up but it still loads even if you un-tick it in msconfig. Well I should say that if you un-tick it in msconfig and then restart it won't start again until you use Itunes then it starts with Itunes and reinstalls its self in the msconfig start-up again.

Does anyone know a way that you can stop it from doing this, but still be able to use Itunes ?

rsinbad 13:57 05 Jan 2006

have a read click here

march 14:54 05 Jan 2006

Hi Ballie

I had this problem am using win98 & was told to remove via safe mode
click here
it worked for me. Don’t know if Itunes will still work afterwards though.

Ballie 17:41 05 Jan 2006

un-ticking it in msconfig via safe mode seems to have worked but I will leave the tread open for a day or two just in case it comes back.

Skyver 17:44 05 Jan 2006

It's just there to `quickstart` Quicktime (that name is becoming more and more of an oxymoron now that the app is so huge) - ITunes doesn't require it.

Ballie 09:10 01 Mar 2006

still can't stop this "qttask" from starting you can get it to stop for a few days by un-ticking it in msconfig (normal or safe mode) but it just keeps coming back, it seems to cause my pc to sometimes lock up on shutting down.

Gongoozler 09:43 01 Mar 2006

Try renaming qttask.exe in the C:\Program Files\QuickTime\ folder to qttask.old. If this causes a problem, then you can easily rename it back again.

Eastender 10:29 01 Mar 2006

I have successfully used Startup Inspector for sometime AND it is free. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?