Stop Outlook trying access email archive

slimpickins 08:46 11 Jun 2005

This refers to Outlook 2002, not Outlook Express. It runs on an XP system with all the updates.

At least once an email session, I'll click to open an email and I'll receive a message that the email archive could not be found, I'll click OK and a folder browse window will appear. I click cancel and eventually the email will open.

I've archived more than once, including to DVD and I'll have to go through the above sequence for each one. The fact that one of the archived can be accessed doesn't make any difference.

The archives are at the top of the folder list, but unlike other Outlook folders, they can't be deleted , I presume because they can't be found.

How can I stop Outlook making these unnecessary searches and is there any way of removing the redundent archives from the folder list?

Forum Editor 08:57 11 Jun 2005

I think the problem is related to that archiving session - Outlook needs to access its archives as you work.

I haven't come across your particular problem before, but suspect it's DVD-related, because you should be able to delete archive folders in the folder view.

Try running a normal archive session now, and see if that cures the problem. It might, because a new batch of archives will be created.

slimpickins 15:28 11 Jun 2005

but I tried that and it still tries to access them all. The archive names vary slightly, might have been helped if I'd said all this in the first place really.

I think you're right and Outlook does need to access the archive as one works but I wish I could get it stop looking for redundent the ones.

VoG II 15:35 11 Jun 2005

I found click here which might explain what is happening.

You may find a solution if you search click here more thoroughly than I have.

slimpickins 11:44 12 Jun 2005

I didn't a solution but some of the information was useful, the website excellent and I've emailed one of their experts for advice.

slimpickins 09:21 13 Jun 2005

It's easy once you know how.

On the control panel (in list view) click on "Mail" , then "Profiles", select (if necessary) the profile and click "Properties". Delete the redundent archives.

Thanks a lot VoG, I got this by emailing the website you recommened.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?