STOP error message

RussWoo 15:37 12 Mar 2007

Hell Experts,

I XP Home SP2 and received the following message when shutting down:

STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error) The Windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a Status of 0x0000005 {0x00000000 0x00000000]. The system has been shut down

Running my antivirus and spyware programme shows no problems but I can't do System Restore. Will it restore from the point of error? I don't understand the stuff I've found out about the problem. Is it serious and can it be rectified? Everything seems to be working normally.

Thanks,

Bixbox

johndrew 15:53 12 Mar 2007

This looks similar to click here perhaps it will answer your questions.

RussWoo 16:55 12 Mar 2007

Thanks, johndrew.

I followed your link but I got stuck when Microsoft started talking about entering Dr. Watson details in the command prompt. I don't know where such a prompt is. Going in to help and support on my computer didn't help. Am I stuffed?

bixbox

VoG II 16:57 12 Mar 2007

To get into command prompt, Start > Run, type in

cmd

and click OK.

Pamy 17:01 12 Mar 2007

Will your computer just boot up ?

RussWoo 23:30 12 Mar 2007

Thanks Pamy,

Yes, it boots up fine and seems to be operating perfectly normally except that I can't do a System Restore. I'm wondering what, if any, damage will have occurred.

bixbox

johndrew 09:53 13 Mar 2007

From my understanding of the message, you should not have done any damage as the problem appears to be a conflict of some sort.

If you have recently installed new hardware it could be that which is causing the problem. Try removing it and booting without it installed. If the problem `goes away` then you have found the cause. Whether software would do the same I`m not certain, but again you can try the same process by uninstalling and rebooting.

When you say you can`t do a System Restore, have you got Restore points showing? There are a number of option you can look at click here which may give you a clue.

Pamy 10:19 13 Mar 2007

It should be OK, these stop errors in my case are usually drivers or out of date progs like Yahoo Messinger. As for restore, create one of your own then restore back to it to see if it works.

birdface 20:42 13 Mar 2007

Hi dont know if this will help,But microsoft has an up-date to fix programs with errors starting with 0x0,It might be of help to you.

RussWoo 13:23 14 Mar 2007

Thank you all.

I went back to your link, Johndrew, but it took me to a site other than the microsoft troubleshooting one it had before. I have gone round in circles searching for that but can't find it. This was a microsoft site that gave instructions for troubleshooting stop messages, having installed Dr. Watson. I have learnt that I do have Dr. Watson installed but can't find the data to insert in the command prompt (thanks VoG)which determines what sort of error is causing the problem. I remember being on this microsoft troubleshooting site (buteman)and would like to go there again and would be grateful if you could give it to me.

Meanwhile I created a new Restore Point but I am still unable to go back to it. I have also done a defrag but and it is unable to defrag all the files although when it says to view the report to see which they are, the list is empty.

Further advice would be appreciated

Thanks again,

bixbox

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:59 14 Mar 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?