*** STOP:........... error - HELP PLEASE

LeedsLass 10:20 14 Aug 2008

When booting up my PC it boots up to the Windows XP password screen, when I type my password it continues to boot up as normal and then when I see the desktop it automatically crashes within about a second and I get a blue screen with the following message:

*** STOP: 0X000000E (0XC0000005, 0X806FF94F, 0XAE5B3B0C, 0X00000000)

Does anyone know what this means?

The only change I have made recently (ie. since this problem started) was to upgrade my (free version of) AVG to the latest version (as prompted by AVG) - did this a few days ago and have since not been able to boot up my PC. Other than this, I have not added any new software or tampered with the hardware (since it was built a few years ago)

Thanx in adavnce

PS. Really need help with this as my laptop also died the other day and am awaiting a new one and the delivery date has been put back to 27th so have no www access at home at all. :o(

Technotiger 10:23 14 Aug 2008

First line of defence - try a System Restore back to before you did the AVG upgrade.

Technotiger 10:24 14 Aug 2008

Hmm, sorry - I should have added ... in Safe Mode, keep tapping F8 on start-up.

brundle 10:25 14 Aug 2008

Does Safe Mode or Last Known Good Config help ? (Hit F8 before you see the XP logo and choose from the menu). Are there any file names mentioned on the blue screen? Or more info, things such as _pfn_list_corrupt in which case run a memory test;

click here
click here

LeedsLass 11:10 14 Aug 2008

Thanx I shall try, tonight, booting in safe mode - think I tried F8 and it didn't give me the option of safe mode, but I shall double check again tonight.

I'll also write down the whole spiel when it does the blue screen thing.

Thanx for your help so far.

Ditch999 14:04 14 Aug 2008

What make and model of PC is it as you might have to hit a different key on startup to access Safe Mode or Last Known Good Config

LeedsLass 14:27 15 Aug 2008

I built the PC myself so it doesn't have a make/model. It was F8 though, thanx.

I booted in safe mode and did a system restore to before I had installed the latest version of AVG and it's now working fine again.

However, when I booted up normally again I got this error message:

"Could not initialize AVG anti-virus kernal interface. Application cannot run."

And then I got:

"Could not start DB server: socket() failed fore UDP socket: (10022) An invalid argument was supplied."

Do you think either of these messages are related to what had happened? If so, what do they mean?

Also, can I ask, if AVG 8.0 caused this problem with booting up (which it seemed it has), does this mean I now have to find another AVS or should I just uninstall and reinstall AVG 8.0 from scratch and try again?

Thanx for all your help so far people. Much appreciated.

Technotiger 14:29 15 Aug 2008

I would uninstall and then reinstall AVG.

Technotiger 14:31 15 Aug 2008

Or rather ... re-download AVG. Then go off-line, and then do the uninstall and reinstall the version you have just re-downloaded. After the reinstall re-start your PC. I hope that make sense.

LeedsLass 14:35 15 Aug 2008

Technotiger - yes, that's what I had in mind. Thanx for backing me up <nervous> lol

LeedsLass 14:37 15 Aug 2008

Technotiger - yes, that's what I had in mind. Thanx for backing me up <nervous> lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone