STOP: c000021a (fatal system error) in XP

CurlyWhirly 21:34 18 Nov 2004

I have around a couple of hours ago rang Microsoft for support but the support person said that there is NO specific solution for my following query.
What happens is that sometimes (NOT all the time) when I go to switch off my computer at START > TURN OFF COMPUTER after pressing either the TURN OFF or RESTART button I (sometimes) get the following error message:

STOP: c000021a {fatal system error}
The Windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x5f100f5a 0x0052fb08)
The system has been shut down

Has anyone had or heard of this message before?
It has only recently started happening and is NOT serious as I just reboot and don't see the error message crop up for (say) a day or two!
I am curious as to WHY it is happening though.
I have run a scandisk and at the end there is a message saying that the system is clean.
Also I have a MEMTEST program on floppy and after leaving this run for over an hour NO errors are found so it can't be a memory problem can it?

Thanks.

VoG II 21:46 18 Nov 2004

Yes it can be associated with Delfin Media Viewer (spyware-related). Have you run the usual suspects (Ad-aware etc.)?

CurlyWhirly 21:52 18 Nov 2004

Thanks for replying. I have run Ad-Aware SE earlier and the ONLY spyware cookie I got was one from realmedia.com!
This wouldn't be anything to do with RealPlayer itself would it?

I have also run SpyBot and NOTHING was found apart from the usual 5 DSO Exploit entries.

I will run a McAfee VirusScan & a2 trojan scanner now and report back.

CurlyWhirly 22:17 18 Nov 2004

Just completed a2 & McAfee virus scan and NOTHING is found on either.
I will just have to live with it!

Djohn 22:40 18 Nov 2004

click here Found this on the M/S site curly. Mentions several causes such as drivers or corrupt files. Gives a workround and a fix.

Found several more people with the exact same code no. [0x5f100f5a] They did an install of xp over the top of itself to cure the problem.

Djohn 22:45 18 Nov 2004

When you get to the page in the link, look to the bottom of left hand pane and click the second from bottom code of, c000021a

CurlyWhirly 12:36 19 Nov 2004

Thanks for the link.
The information refers to XP Professional, I have XP Home Edition - does this make a difference?

CurlyWhirly 12:42 19 Nov 2004

They did an install of xp over the top of itself to cure the problem.

p.s. I am not sure how to do your above comment as this is something that I have NEVER done before!
When I have a problem I usually restore my Drive Image 7 backup.
I have tried this but it doesn't work.
I don't fancy reinstalling XP over itself as I am not sure if I would lose all my applications, programs, settings, etc!

I do have the RETAIL version of XP (i.e. a seperate XP CD) so if this problem gets worse it is something that I can think about doing in the future!

CurlyWhirly 00:26 20 Nov 2004

Last post by me on this thread.
For some reason when I close down XP from Windows Task Manager I don't get this error anymore.
If I close down from START > TURN OFF COMPUTER, I do occasionally get the error - strange?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache