Hi

Dell Dimension 5150
Pentium D 820 DualCore 2.8Ghz
80.00Gb 7200 rpm SATA HD
2GB Mem
AVG Free
Windows XP
Firefox

Son last used machine normally on Tuesday 27 July. Logged in today. Accessed internet. Installed Google Chrome. Played computer game from C: drive. Accessed internet. Turned off machine. Restarted machine. Logged in. BSOD. Error message: STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0×00000000 0×00000000).
The system has been shut down.

Tried rebooting in safe mode, removing Google Chrome, and everything seems fine but when log on again get same BSOD

Tried System Restore but no restore points present other than one set after the BSOD

Tried chkdsk but nothing obvious - I'm not a computer expert so not sure what I was looking for to be honest

Tried MSCONFIG and ran in Diagnostic mode, completed that and then rebooted computer but got BSOD again

Ran CCleaner

Currently running virus scan in safe mode

Can anyone help please?

PiP

VOT Productions 20:36 08 Aug 2010

click here;en-us;156669

Google it!

VOT Productions 20:38 08 Aug 2010

Last known good configuration
If the previous steps in this article do not resolve the problem, start the computer by using the last known good configuration. To start the computer by using the last known good configuration, follow these steps:Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
Click Restart, and then click OK.
Press F8 at the indicated time:
For an x86-based computer: When a screen of text appears and then disappears , press F8. (The screen of text may include a memory test, lines about the BIOS, and other lines.) There may also be a prompt that tells you when to press F8.
For an x64-based computer: After you make your selection from the boot menu, press F8. There may be a prompt that tells you when to press F8.
Use the arrow keys to select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.
Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then press ENTER.

pip78900 20:58 08 Aug 2010

Thank you VirtualOSTester. I did google it (and have been trying everything it throws up for the last four hours) and came up with that link to the Microsoft Support article. Unfortunately as I am not an advanced user (which is the intended audience of the article) I wasn't confident enough to do what it instructs hence my post on here.

I did however try starting the computer using the Last Known Good Configuration but I still got the BSOD. Apologies for missing that out of my OP.

If I use the Microsoft Support article and run Dr Watson will it be easy to read the log file to find the problem?

Cheers.

VOT Productions 21:03 08 Aug 2010

Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and upload to any website the contents.

pip78900 21:07 08 Aug 2010

Thanks. I'll have a go once the virus check finishes.

VOT Productions 12:08 09 Aug 2010

Go to Start, run and type "sfc /scannow" without quotes.

Have your XP CD or restore CD with I386 folder ready.

pip78900 21:08 09 Aug 2010

I ran the virus check in Safe mode and it didn't pick anything up. I then rebooted and it was working ok. Logged on to the internet and was immediately given a virus warning for hookranger.info/tx/ which is apparently a HTML/FakeAlert.lok I got the AV to do its thing then I got another BSOD.

I'd read that malaware.org might help but couldn't find version 1.41 so had to give up on that.

When I switched the machine back on I selected F8 Debugging Mode and got another BSOD.

I tried again but this time selected F8 Safe/Command mode. It wouldn't accept the System Root\System32\Drwtsn32.exe command. I rebooted to Last Known Good Configuration and tried again using Start - Run. It came up with the DrWatson box and from there I could see where the user.dmp files were. However, I couldn't open the user.dmp file and it was very late (almost midnight) so I gave in.

This afternoon I tried F12 - Hard Drive Diagnostics and came up as Drive 0 Samsung HD080HJ/P - Fail Return Code 9. I googled this but not quite sure what it means.

I then rebooted machine normally but it kept giving me BSOD before I could get to Start - Run to try and do the sfc /scannow. I also tried this in Safe Mode but it didn't respond.

Windows Defender is currently doing a full scan but so far nothing found.

Question is, how can I get it to do the sfc /scannow if it keeps crashing? Will it work in Safe (or another mode)?

On the plus side, I now have the XP disk to hand!

Cheers.

pip78900 23:12 09 Aug 2010

Okay, I did the sfc /scannow, inserted the XP disk as requested. Scan finished. No prompts or anything. Logged off and logged back on and hey presto another BSOD!

Is there anything else I can try please?

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017