stop: 0x0000007f

jayc1977 17:03 15 Nov 2010

Hi,
My friend tried to re-install win xp home ed to his dad's laptop (a medion 2230) after it would only boot into safe mode all the time! The installation gets to the accepet licence agreement then after a few minutes gets the bsod with the following stop error:
stop: 0x0000007f (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I tried swapping out the ram with various other compatible ram modules but still get to the same point and get the same error!
I tried to repair the previous os installation which was (via the os installation cd) on the c: but same error, so i deleted and re-formatted for a re-install, but again get to same point and same error.
I don't think it's an over-heating issue or over- -clocking! Was thinking maybe a video driver issue but cant get into safe mode to remove as installion is in-complete. I can get the recovery console but cant use it as it asks for administrator password which no-one knows!
Thanks in advance for any help!

bremner 17:20 15 Nov 2010

This error, the Divide by zero error, is most commonly caused by a RAM problem, but not exclusively. Other hardware can alos be the issue includidng defective motherboard. I would check the seating of all the components connected to the mobo.

I do not see how it can be a video driver as none have been installed at this stage.

It can be caused by software but as you have none loaded this can be excluded.

jayc1977 17:28 15 Nov 2010

Read in a few google searches that it could be related to video driver, and was thinking that due to the previous problem only booting into safe mode it was a strong case!
will try the seating issue!

Any other suggestion or experience with this problem

thanks

sunnystaines 17:55 15 Nov 2010

delete the video card driver and instal a fresh upto date one.

old one may have got corrupted did you check device manager for the yellow marks

bremner 19:00 15 Nov 2010

"i deleted and re-formatted for a re-install, but again get to same point and same error"

I read this as meaning jayc1977 now having an incomplete install, so the video driver cannot be an issue.

sunnystaines 19:51 15 Nov 2010

good point, forget the driver in that case.

jayc1977 20:12 15 Nov 2010

yeah, sorry it's an incomplete installation so if it's not the driver do you think it may be the mobo?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?